JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
openstreet map data as external data for TEST set | Reply
Hi
Can open street map data be used as part of workflow for TEST set, or be used as additional data while training.
As we know the image extent, these can be downloaded from overpass api and such. And not just highway but can we use other features such as building polygons from open street map as additional labels, including for the TEST set ? . Not sure if this is allowed and how it would affect the final test scoring.
Re: openstreet map data as external data for TEST set (response to post by number13) | Reply
OpenStreetMap can be used for training, and you are free to use building footprints and other features.
But using OpenStreetMap for inference is NOT allowed.
Re: openstreet map data as external data for TEST set (response to post by walrus71) | Reply
Just to clarify - during inference, it's not allowed to use any other data than the images provided right ? (which, of course, makes sense)
Re: openstreet map data as external data for TEST set (response to post by Mloody2000) | Reply
During inference you can use the test images and whatever else you prepared while building your docker image and running your training process. You must not download anything else specific to the test tile, and note that you should not assume that the physical coordinates of the test tile will be available or that they will be accurate.
Re: openstreet map data as external data for TEST set (response to post by walrus71) | Reply
Hi,

Can we download OSM data for TEST set and use test set with this data for training?
Re: openstreet map data as external data for TEST set (response to post by albu) | Reply
I will check this with the client but I think this should be allowed as you are free to use any publicly available data for training (unless its licensing terms disallow this).
That external data usage allowance seems a bit controversial to me.

Actually, I'm not sure the use of external data is a good idea. For instance, the scope of the final testing is limited (ie small number of cities) so it's quite doable to get all the data available for the given cities and train on that, allowing for big over-fitting. Which may result in the winning model being simply the 'best over-fitted' one.
Re: openstreet map data as external data for TEST set (response to post by Mloody2000) | Reply
Yes, I also agree with Mloody2000.
I also agree on this point
One last clarification -> my understanding is that in previous rounds, this was allowed (ie, openstreet map layers are used on inference in the top solution).

Is that right ?
If only we could get/extract the locations of tiles, we can use solely "train pieces" of OSM annotated maps without learning leaky "test pieces".
After discussing this question with the client the decision is that using OSM data for the test set is NOT allowed (neither for training, nor for inference). Of course you can still use OSM for the training tiles. I am sorry for this late announcement and the confusion this has caused.

As some of you correctly pointed out, this is in contrast to the previous Spacenet contest where OSM data could (and was) used during inference. The reason for this difference is that OSM building footprints in the test regions were not available in such high quality as road networks, so using them had much smaller effect than in the current contest.
Re: openstreet map data as external data for TEST set (response to post by Mikhail.Karanik) | Reply
IIRC the GeoTIFF tiles do have coordinates embedded. You can easily find them with a GIS library/application.
RSS