Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Marathons 94, 95 and Warsaw lightning round (early announcement) | Reply
Several Marathon matches were added to the calendar:

• Marathon Match 94, starting on August 16th - 1 week long

• lightning round leading to Warsaw regional event, running August 29th - September 1st, open for everybody

• Marathon Match 95, starting on October 4th - 1 week long

Hope that helps you plan ahead. We're trying to test the hypothesis that shorter duration of Marathons combined with earlier announcement might increase participation :-)
Re: Marathons 94, 95 and Warsaw lightning round (early announcement) (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
Thanks for adding the new contests. I like the early announcement. However, I am disappointed about shorter duration. For me 1 week feels like a race, while 2 weeks is more like a marathon and gives me enough time to code.
Re: Marathons 94, 95 and Warsaw lightning round (early announcement) (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
We're basing this experiment on a popular suggestion in the improvement ideas thread.

I think we're not going to get an unanimous vote on this one - one one hand, two weeks do give enough time to code, but on the other hand, two weeks is a major time commitment, and people who can't spend this whole time coding can be discouraged from participating if they think other people can. Speaking for myself, I can't commit even to a two days contest, let alone two weeks one, so I can totally understand the ask for shorter matches :-)
Re: Marathons 94, 95 and Warsaw lightning round (early announcement) (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
I like the idea of shorter matches, as we had long time ago...
But I totally understand those who prefer longer contests.

Using different durations (1 or 2 weeks) for each match (depending on the problem, concurrency with other events, etc.) would allow members to choose when to compete, according to their preference and personal schedule, and (hopefully) may help increasing the participation level in the long run.
RSS