JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]
Re: TCO marathon points from sponsored matches (response to post by CatalinT) | Reply
Regarding: "we think that getting 80% accuracy is going to be hard, let's put the threshold at that level"

Sometimes the contest organizers already have a working solution for the problem and are only interested in solutions obtaining better results than it (I think I've seen a few such MMs in the past). So the threshold wouldn't be arbitrary in these cases.

But, in general, if the problem is really new and the organizers don't have a good idea about the quality of the results that they want (or that can even be obtained), then I don't know how they can choose a good score threshold. Moreover, I don't know if the organizers/sponsors of the match would be interested in spending time to come up with such a threshold, given that it's only useful for TCO'17 points and not necessarily directly useful for the results they would get out of the match.

Nevertheless, if a predefined threshold exists (no matter how it was chosen), I can invest some time to estimate how easy/hard would be to achieve it. And, based on this initial time/work investment, I can decide if I want to invest more time (in order to obtain a score better than the threshold) or not.
Re: TCO marathon points from sponsored matches (response to post by blackmath) | Reply
I agree that this rule change was a bad idea. I think probably most of the competitors are not aware of it otherwise there would be more protest here. It feels like this is an evolutionary measure to phase out "fun" matches moving TopCoder and the TCO entirely to sponsored projects.

I was there for the sponsored TCO marathon finals and was a tester for the problem. As I recall, there was general agreement at the time that it was a weak problem and a failed experiment that should not be repeated.
Re: TCO marathon points from sponsored matches (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
Hey Rustyoldman, nice to hear from ya!

Ok, soooo regarding "It feels like this is an evolutionary measure to phase out "fun" matches moving TopCoder and the TCO entirely to sponsored projects", I will categorically and emphatically 100% deny that this is NOT the case.

We will never, ever, get rid of fun matches.
Re: TCO marathon points from sponsored matches (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
I agree with the folks here.

Competing in just 3 "fun" matches takes 6 weeks and if you want to place in top these matches stop being fun sometimes during the last days. This is already a heavy time investment.

By adding sponsored matches without specifying threshold you are basically telling us to do our best for many more 2 week contests hoping to get some points. I would probably compete in these matches for other reasons anyway if I had free time and don't see it getting more popular by adding them to TCO track.
Re: TCO marathon points from sponsored matches (response to post by nika) | Reply
All, please see this post for an update: https://apps.topcoder.com/forums/?module=Thread&threadID=900704&start=0&mc=1#2191874
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]

RSS