JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Data Science / Algorithm / Marathon Match CAB | Reply
Hi community!

Many of you probably know me from this forums or from my long participation history on TopCoder.

I've been chosen by the community and by TopCoder as a member of the CAB 2017 (thank you both!) representing the Data Science tracks (Algorithm + Marathon Match).

I'd like to open this thread so you can all give me your feedback by replying in this thread, so that I can use that feedback and take it to the CAB meetings so TopCoder can use your feedback.

I know I used the word "feedback" twice already (this is the third one) but I'll use it again because the feedback from the community is the most important way to improve your experience competing in TopCoder.
Re: Data Science / Algorithm / Marathon Match CAB (response to post by ltaravilse) | Reply
Glad to know you will be a CAB member, ltaravilse!
I believe community feedback is very important, and you are an active member who follows a lot of discussions related to Marathon and Algorithm tracks.
Talking about Marathon, as it has been discussed in the last years, increasing participation level seems to be number one priority.
Best of luck to you!
Re: Data Science / Algorithm / Marathon Match CAB (response to post by ltaravilse) | Reply
Congrats ltaravilse on your selection as a CABby!

My shout out also goes to the rest of the newly constituted CAB team.
Congrats ltaravilse and all other CAB members.
Will keep on providing feedback mostly related to UI/design. So that we can get to the heart of the solution together!
Re: Data Science / Algorithm / Marathon Match CAB (response to post by wleite) | Reply
Thanks to everyone!

Regarding the Marathon Match participation level, I think it's mainly related with lack of exposure and the long time that needs to be invested in a long contest. I also think it can improve if TCO has rounds where people can advance so it's a good incentive for people to start participating in Marathon Match and maybe then participating more often.

I'll take this feedback to the next CAB meeting to see what can be done about it!
Re: Data Science / Algorithm / Marathon Match CAB (response to post by wleite) | Reply
Thanks to everyone!

Regarding the Marathon Match participation level, I think it's mainly related with lack of exposure and the long time that needs to be invested in a long contest. I also think it can improve if TCO has rounds where people can advance so it's a good incentive for people to start participating in Marathon Match and maybe then participating more often.

I'll take this feedback to the next CAB meeting to see what can be done about it!
Hello,

I dont know if that's the right place for this feedback, I would like to talk about the upcoming data science challenge DNA sequencing 2.
It has been delayed countless number of times. It currently appears as 3/10 to 3/24/2017, but I do not trust that anymore. And you usually wait for the last day before the announced opening date to delay it, that is rude.
Can you please post the correct date and stick to it ?? If you know you will not be ready in time, do not put a fake date, that is stupid.
If you want more participation for your marathon match, start with this.
About the "long time that needs to be invested", while Marathons do require more time, it has always been this way, right?!
And we had higher participation levels in the past, both in sponsored, but specially in fun/TCO qualification rounds.
So I think we can't point out the longer format itself as an issue.

This has been discussed many times already, but there are several different causes of the decline of average number of competitors.
One of them is the website (the main one in my opinion).

Just to give a single example, one thing that I enjoyed in the past is to check quickly past permformance / evolution / solutions from another coder or mine...
And that is much harder now.

You mentioned again the TCO advancing system, which I believe most of people don't agree it is the best, as discussed in another thread...
Anyway, I will propose you a small challenge: take any long time member and try to find out quickly how far he advanced in TCO rounds, when this method was used, or his/her better TCO performances.
It is much harder than it should be, right?
And that reduces a lot the motivation of achieving a TCO round / rating / ranking...
Re: Data Science / Algorithm / Marathon Match CAB (response to post by grizk) | Reply
Hello grizk!
I am not involved in the preparation of DNA Sequencing 2, but what I do know from my experience of being the copilot or tester in many different marathons, is that Topcoder takes competitions schedule very seriously, and they work as hard as possible to keep the original plans.
As any project in any company, marathons' preparation can sometimes be tricky, and have unexpected delays.
The final result (i.e. the problem presented to competitors) doesn't always give a precise idea of the effort, since usually the "raw" real world problem contains much more details, and the preparation needs to transform it to something that fit the constraints of a match, while keeping the main goals.
So I can tell that calling "fake date" is not fair...
On the other hand, I agree with you that having earlier notices of any delay, whenever it is possible, it would be nice.

This is kind of off-topic in this thread.
I suggest you post a new thread in the general Marathon forum.
Unfortunately, I was right about not taking the new 03/10 date seriously. It has been delayed again, and again at the very last minute.
I opened a new thread about this in the general marathon discussion. https://apps.topcoder.com/forums/?module=Thread&threadID=899472&start=0&mc=1
Re: Data Science / Algorithm / Marathon Match CAB (response to post by grizk) | Reply
hey all, I totally get how frustrating this can be. we will now only add a marathon match to the schedule if we're 75% confident it'll launch on time. sorry about this, and please don't ever hesitate to reach out to me directly with any concerns regarding the marathon matches. my email address is rashid@topcoder.com
RSS