JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Advice for a career change from Mechanical Engineering to a Computer Programmer | Reply
I have been working as a Mechanical Engineer for six years at a job that a) I find very uninteresting/boring b) Unrelated to my degree in Engineering.
About the same time a began this job I started learning C++ on my own and realized I enjoy writing/building programs, time just seems to fly when I am coding. So, as of two years ago I began taking classes from an accredited university. I learned Java, C, data structures, discrete math, etc.. I have two classes left to complete my certificate from this university (at earliest end of this year). Here is the problem, I need to find a job in the next two months or less if at all possible. I won't go into details why, but its not do or die type of situation.
Do I have a chance in getting a job in a computer programming related field? What area would best suite me? How can I increase my chances of getting a job? Is this a big waste of time and money (is it too late to make a career change)?

FYI, I am 29
Re: Advice for a career change from Mechanical Engineering to a Computer Programmer (response to post by TechnoViking) | Reply
Have you done any project in any of these languages? Then you can approach the companies with that project. If you can prove that you have sufficient knowledge in coding, definitely you can get a job in this industry. Your skills in doing something is more important than experience
Re: Advice for a career change from Mechanical Engineering to a Computer Programmer (response to post by michaelrico) | Reply
I have done several projects in Java and C (mostly in Java) for the computer classes that I took, with various complexity. Would that be something they be interested in?
Re: Advice for a career change from Mechanical Engineering to a Computer Programmer (response to post by TechnoViking) | Reply
If you have enough skills to explain your project, your profile will definitely consider for selection.
RSS