Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Share your favorite memory! *1 Million Member Mark* | Reply
Hello Community!

In honor of Topcoder nearing 1,000,000 members (as of writing this we are at 992,000) I am gathering everyones favorite memories and moments that they have had here.

Some topics could include:

- Winning your first challenge
- A TCO event that you attended
- Making a new friend
- Learning something you would have never learned if you weren't a member

I will put all handles of those that participate into a drawing for a Topcoder Yoda T-Shirt! I will do a drawing on next month's Topcoder Monthly video, which is in one week 5/3.

Your responses may be used in a blog that is being put together for this special occasion.

Have fun with it and look forward to what you all have to say!
Re: Share your favorite memory! *1 Million Member Mark* (response to post by nick.castillo) | Reply
My favorite moment, which is still so alive in my memory, is first entering the TCO arena in 2013 and seeing the other finalists and Jessie in person. It was like an awesome dream. I am so glad that I also have an actual picture of this moment.
Re: Share your favorite memory! *1 Million Member Mark* (response to post by MonicaMuranyi) | Reply
Share the picture! :)
Re: Share your favorite memory! *1 Million Member Mark* (response to post by nick.castillo) | Reply
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5494/10792193866_71eec55025.jpg
I don't wanna be a party pooper, but where are those 1 million members hiding? At least judging from people joining algorithm and marathon competitions / posting in the forums, the number of active topcoder members is not growing exponentially.

How many active members are there?
For the favorite one, I'll probably go with the same one as a year ago - being accepted as a problem writer.

For "Winning your first challenge", none of the challenges I've actually won are that memorable, being idea generation contests, so I'd say my first room win in SRM 287 (the 12th SRM I took part in). Back then the problems were much easier than they are now; Div1 Easy required to solve a set of two linear equations; basically just check some cases, which I spent over an hour at and still missed some corner case. But Div1 Medium was a most lovely math problem MooresLaw, to be solved in four lines of code with a single special case. I noticed this case immediately; but most other people didn't. So the challenge phase was quite a bloodbath; only three people in the room had any problems survive (me included), and I got 6 successful challenges (all with a single test case), getting a 15-point lead over a red guy with fewer challenges. Also placed 21st in division, one of my highest placements ever.

For "A TCO event that you attended", I'm not sure whether to choose white tiger cubs at Mirage zoo at TCO 2010, a night ocean swim at TCO 2011 or playing this 3D game at TCO 2014.

For "Making a new friend", I think meeting my husband through TopCoder counts :-)
Re: Share your favorite memory! *1 Million Member Mark* (response to post by MonicaMuranyi) | Reply
ONE MILLION! Seriously? Wow.

I thought I could share two memories.

The first spans for a couple of years: Those days when my friends and I discovered TopCoder and started competing for fun. We were all programmers at an office without a boss around most of the time, and I remember some of us setting aside some time, a big "do not disturb" sign on top of your monitor, headphones playing Nightwish to block noisy co-workers (those who did work, you know) and spending two hours sweating and failing to solve problems. This was back on 2004, which kind of makes me a living fossil, and explain why we could place signs "on top of" our big, CRT monitors! By today most of us still write code, and work for many different companies (and keep at least a mention TopCoder in our resumes), and are still friends. Those happy days!

Next one is more like a moment. I was writer for some time, not too long. Coming up with a 1000ptr Div1 problem the hardest thing my brain could think of. The day "my" SRM was held, I was totally unsure: are my problems totally trivial? Or impossible? The moment system tests passed, and I saw exactly 6 correct solutions to that problem and everyone commenting our solutions from Petr, tomek, Eryx (my own big heroes at that time) is still a vivid memory!

There are really many more awesome moments. I am very thankful to TopCoder and its community for so much fun and learning.
My favourite memory was attending TCO 15 India which was held in my college. It gave me goosebumps while watching my country's best coders competing!

Here is a photo of me with my friends. :)

http://s32.postimg.org/tmew90d79/IMG_0362.jpg
Since I started competing at TopCoder I found that I have real passion for algorithms and competitive programming, I am still not that good at it but I am working hard to do it. Through Top Coder I found many opportunities to develop myself. Since this month I will be taking classes at Google and looking forward to their internship programs. All thanks to Top Coder.

And also I had a chance to speak with a member of Top Coder's staff, at that time we did a short interview about the user experience in Top Coder.

Thank you Top Coder. Keep going!!!
One day I want to see my name next to the first place mark in the rang list
Mediafly - NC Mobile Application UX Design Update was my first challenge and I did win it. I did the challenge using a low-spec netbook without prior experience in mobile app design. I don't own iPhone/iPad so I didn't even know how the real UI/UX experience on iOS was like.

And my lucky, I became design rookie member of the month for 2015.
https://www.topcoder.com/blog/topcoder-members-of-the-month-for-november-2015/
My favorite memory in TC is when I won first place in first two challenges and I became "Member of the Month" ( https://www.topcoder.com/blog/topcoder-members-of-the-month-january-2016/ )
Congrats for marking 1M coders!

My the most memorable moment as a member of topcoder is not as much as fancy like others but it still remains as a great memory to me. It's the first time that I ranked 1st place in the room. (Yes, not in the match but in the room.) It's been more than 5 years but I still could remember how exciting it was.
Congratulations on 1M members mark!

My favorite moment was sitting on the hot seat at 2012 TopCoder Open Mod Dash Final. That was the only TCO that I attend as Finalist till now. Check the coolest picture of me here :p
Re: Share your favorite memory! *1 Million Member Mark* (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
i love this! :)
Congrats with 1M members.

I am on TopCoder from 2004 and my favorite moment was receiving first rating in Algorithm competition.
And first earned money and 1st t-shirt of course :)
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS