JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Copyright Topcoder | Reply
/*
 * Copyright (c) 2015 TopCoder, Inc. All rights reserved.
 */

/**
 * Controller for uploading
 * @author TCSASSEMBLER
 * @version 1.0
 */

Is there an official page which specifies the above to be present in each file created in the submission?

I wish to know if this is something that needs to be made official or obsolete. I feel that at the end, during project delivery, we can run a simple script to add these at the top of each file and thus, participants need not add it / update it each time.

Thoughts?
Re: Copyright Topcoder (response to post by callmekatootie) | Reply
http://apps.topcoder.com/wiki/display/tc/Component+Development+Member+Guidelines#ComponentDevelopmentMemberGuidelines-CodingStandards
Re: Copyright Topcoder (response to post by Sky_) | Reply
I am not sure if you are for it or against it. :)

I feel this is something that only the winner should do - thus eliminating it from the review scope. This and the spelling mistakes.
TCSASSEMBLER should be replaced by winner handle, but we don't do it :)

We can keep copyright, but remove @author and @version.
You can configure your IDE so a copyright header is automatically added.
Agree that this should be scripted.

Regarding spelling mistakes/typos:
I've been penalized heavily due to small typos written in docs...
For example: "lot of time" should read "a lot of time" (forgot to write letter 'a')

For a couple of typos like this got 3 instead of 4 in a several page document! Maybe this documentation review should take existing standards from publishing companies or something similar.

And even couldn't get points back in appeals phase :(
Re: Copyright Topcoder (response to post by chok68) | Reply
Do reviewers score down only for typos?
I always get 4/4 if I have only typos in Code.
Correct. Those typos were on a readme.md file.
I think you know from your work on the weartest project for MESH01 that we never required copyright headers or change logs on CloudSpokes. Those challenges you and I and the rest of our community competed on were judged by Appirio staff so if such things were needed, we would have had to add them obviously. On the Code track when I do reviews I never score down if these are not provided, because the Code track is the continuation of CloudSpokes on TopCoder.
That's because we never scored down for typos on CloudSpokes and the Code track is the continuation of CloudSpokes on topcoder. I do point them out on Code reviews as "Required" for the benefit of the submitter and for making the documentation for the client look professional. On Assembly, however, the scorecard has a specific question about typos in the DG section so I have to score down if there are "many".

[edit - fixed typos LOL]
A reviewer who gives you 3 out of 4 simply because you wrote "lot of time" instead of "a lot of time" in your DG should be banned. I would complain to support@topcoder.com to open a case against the reviewer.
Simple typos should not be graded down.
Re: Copyright Topcoder (response to post by mess) | Reply
Thank you mess for the clarification. I am sure that reviewers would have read this thread but can an email go out to all reviewers across the dev track review boards clarifying this.

Also - is it possible to have the topcoder copyright either
a. be not required at all in submissions
b. be required only in the winning submission.

thereby not making them part of the review
You would not need to modify the Assembly scorecard to remove the question I referred to which judges:
"Grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, formatting and copy-paste mistakes are to be scored here. Also pay attention to typos in file names."

Also modify the question on Assembly which judges: "There must be no tabs, proper tags (author, version) and copyright section."

You also need to inform copilots in addition to reviewers since copilots on Assembly would rate reviewers down for not following the scorecard. I doubt everyone reads all posts in this forum, I don't.
Re: Copyright Topcoder (response to post by wcheung) | Reply
Rather than remove the scorecard item, I would personally prefer that the weights of those items be lowered such that it would barely (if at all) affect placement.

We still need a place for such items to be addressed. If the item(s) were outright removed from the scorecard, then it would no longer be a part of required fixes after aggregation.
Re: Copyright Topcoder (response to post by ShindouHikaru) | Reply
That is true. Just because you mark an item as "Required" in the scorecard doesn't mean you need to score down for it. Reviewers should use common cents if they have lot of it.
RSS