JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Exponents in the first Tutorial | Reply
I read https://www.topcoder.com/community/data-science/data-science-tutorials/the-importance-of-algorithms/ and it's a little confusing to not have exponents either in superscript or with some ASCII math formulation like a^b

An example for a sentence that cause a What?! moment:
If you had to sort a billion things, this algorithm would take around 1018 operations.

After the initial what?! I figured it's 10 to the power of 18, but I would imagine someone reading an introductory article may not have a deep preliminary understanding and these "hidden puzzles" may actually deter them from going deeper into the rabbit hole.
Re: Exponents in the first Tutorial (response to post by TWiStErRob) | Reply
I am a newcomer to Algorithms , and yes I gone through the problem you mentioned .
But after reading your post , I figured it out .
Thanks.
Re: Exponents in the first Tutorial (response to post by Mundhey) | Reply
Thank you very much for pointing out 1018 issue.It didnt totally makes any sense since i knew it was 1018,my thought was i am missing something.These small things can really put off some new bees
Re: Exponents in the first Tutorial (response to post by TWiStErRob) | Reply
Thank you for pointing this error to us. We have updated the tutorial to reflect this correction.
Re: Exponents in the first Tutorial (response to post by mnorouzi) | Reply
The problem still seems to exist in the Shortest Path section with things like O(CN) which should have been O(CN). Err... actually it looks like topcoder currently has a stylesheet setting
sup {vertical-align: baseline;}

which seems like another problem.
RSS