JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Upcoming Releases | Reply
Hi everyone,

We're going to start releasing some changes to the site this week and wanted to start this forum so we have a place to talk about it with everyone.

Please follow the blog to get formal announcements as well. Some previews have been posted over the past couple of weeks and we'll be posting more in the coming days:

https://www.topcoder.com/blog/look-whats-coming-up-on-the-platform/

https://www.topcoder.com/blog/new-member-dashboard/

Feel free to discuss here, ask questions, provide feedback, etc.

Thanks,
Tony
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by TonyJ) | Reply
Some more info about the upcoming releases that will start this week. This one pertains to the overall navigation on the site.

https://www.topcoder.com/blog/navigation-updates/

Please let us know if you have any questions/comments.

Thanks again,
Tony
Hi all,

Another update via the blog. This one is about profiles.

https://www.topcoder.com/blog/not-your-boring-old-profiles/

Thanks,
Tony
Hi,

I've opened topcoder as usual but I've been redirected to the new theme pages but is not loading properly (everything is misplaced and I found difficulties to open links) and is hard to access old theme... I really want old theme, the new themes are too big and I like to see the overall at a glance like old theme does... also, I think that new theme pages are hard to load and I have bad connection so I need old theme... could you don't redirect users to new site please? Or make users choose? Or something? ¿Or decrease big scrollings and font sizes? ¿And darken colors?
The fact is I have to click a lot of places to find what I want but in the old theme I have the side menu and everything is really easy to find with a couple of clicks and the top direct links, just one click to find what I want... now I have to spend a lot of time looking for things that are hard to load and I never know If I'm missing something...

Thanks!
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by f0rc0d3r) | Reply
I'll talk to the team. Try hitting shift refresh and it might fix CSS issues. We'll talk internally and see what we can do.
If the page seems to not be formatting correctly still, please send screenshots to support@topcoder.com and we'll troubleshoot asap.

Thanks!
Ok, I've sent a couple of screenshots, thanks
Thank you for the feedback
My experience with new version so far:
The challenge listing on new theme seems to be much more responsive than before (especially with filters), which is great, but challenge descriptions are missing the navigation header for some reason.

Mobile version still looks dire - dashboard is fine, but menu has issues with selection (I had to tap several times to get anywhere from it) so navigation is hindered. Also I couldn't see any challenge listed on mobile version and description pages still have same layout issues as before.

Overall impression is rather positive though =) It's nice to see the new theme getting improved.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by N1k1tung) | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, we are planning to do much more frequent releases so we'll get these added to the list.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by mess) | Reply
Well, I'm gonna explain what is a problem to me:

The challenge type selector is unconsistent: it opens on hover but due to my bad connection with your site sometimes I have to click it to be opened and then happens several things:

1 - If I want to save time I want to select a challenge type quickly so if I click (because waiting this to be opened on hover is slow) and the page is not fully loaded I have to wait and then I start a boucle of opening closing the selector and the selector doing nothing and accepting options that I don't want to choose (is a fight with the challenge type drop down!)... in the end I have to reload the page which is usually a waste of time... (old theme: side menu: click category, see the full available list, click and register....)

Also, It takes some time to know what is available to register (old theme: see the bold ones directly in a very easy to load and read list)

So, how can I open directly a challenge type without having to wait for everything to be loaded?

Also, can this hovering action be deleted? This causes several issues with slow connections...

And the search starts without a trigger so when I want to select more than one option or write also a tag it's a never ending story of adding and deleting options which are taken into account sometimes but other times the page reloads and deletes my selections...

Thanks
Thanks for the detailed report, we'll see what we can do and add it to the list.
Thanks guys! The profile page looks super cool :)

The only issue I've noticed from the first sight is the missing statistics details like reliability history. Will these details be available? It would be good to have all numbers in the stats line (reliability, wins, challenges, etc.) to be clickable and all the detailed statistics to be available.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by Urmass) | Reply
Thanks for the feedback and the info Urmass
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by Urmass) | Reply
Urmass - Reliability under Statistics is now clickable and takes you to the details page.
I have to say that the new profile page looks great. Thank you all.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by flytoj2ee) | Reply
Thank you! We're trying hard. Updates and fixes to come soon, as mess mentioned.
Hi everyone,

Sorry we've been quiet for a few weeks. A couple more releases we wanted to update you on. Here is the first one:

https://www.topcoder.com/blog/community-platform-update-challenge-reskin/

Info about the other release will be coming soon.

Thanks,
Tony
I've seen this a couple of days, in any challenge details the top part below contest name is duplicated, one of the duplications is misplaced, and for example we have two "Register" buttons...

https://www.topcoder.com/challenge-details/30051966/?type=develop
You need to clean up your cache, it seems topcoder does not use versioning so things get messed up in new releases.

Also, please fix the challenge details "specification" section, it is populated from WYSIWYG editor, and most of my challenges with lists and nested lists become a single list in the page which is confusing for competitors, I end up sharing google docs version for better view of specs.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by elkhawajah) | Reply
You're right, cleaning cache works, thanks.
Below are my feedback on New Look and Feel:

New Profile and Dashboard looks great but need some tweaks

Profile:
1. It doesn't show wins of First2Finish competitions
2. Skills should not be editable IMO. It should be only based on past competitions and from linked accounts.

Dashboard:
1. So much space wasted on top for 'Dashboard' heading. That could be removed or reduce the size of that header
2. SRM contests don't have to be in Dashboard IMHO
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by ananthhh) | Reply
Thanks ananthhh

1) This is coming ASAP. We found an issue right before go live but will be a top priority.
2) We have had a lot of debate about this one :) Let me tell you what we are thinking here. Next phase to is allow points to be assigned by skills. Skills you assign yourself will have very little point value. Skills based on competitions here and elsewhere through external accounts (former CoderBits) or derived from classes at places like Udacity or ratings at Stackoverflow will have additional weights. We want this to be as objective as possible. We'll be coming to the community to help us determine the weightings.

Dashboard
1) Thanks for the feedback
2) Eventually we'll let users customer their dashboards but for now we have heard from members this is a key data point.
I have to say, nice profile page first :)
But in my funny rating history it seems like I have been competing before I started
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by besabestin) | Reply
LOL
Looks like besabestin time travelled :D
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by besabestin) | Reply
besabestin you found our back to the future day bug ;)

Just kidding we'll see if we can look at why the data is off. Thanks for filing the issue.
Hi Everyone,

We have just launched a Bug Hunt - https://www.topcoder.com/challenge-details/30051883/?type=develop
to test the new features (Profile, Dashboard etc.) which were rolled out.

This is a great opportunity to explore all the new features and file bugs if you find any.

Hurry up and register.

Thanks!
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by CloudSurfer) | Reply
Where can I find a review rating and its' history on new site?
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by faeton) | Reply
This is low priority. We are not confident in the existing system and will look to revamp the rating process.
Hi everyone,

A suggestion..Shall we have something like this?
https://goo.gl/photos/7gmhVFz2mecfTm2HA

So we can easily view the challenges available for us to register. Also we can see the checkpoint and final submissions that are pending.

Thank you:)
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by Ravijune) | Reply
I've categorized into Open to register, Resgistered challenges, Checkpoint Submissions, Final submissions and Final fixes. I believe this should be easy for us to filter.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by Ravijune) | Reply
Thanks for the designs Ravijune. I've shared them among our team, and we'll consider them as we think about improvements for the Dashboard.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by fnisen) | Reply
Thank you, @fnisen!
Got it, thank you for the update, mess
Hi
The new theme looks great but few issues with it i.e we don't have the option to switch
Back to the old theme and we don't have an option for getting an overview of the open competitions (possible in old theme).

Thanks
The new site + old site(now old site is effected by new site) are very very very very.......................................................................................................................................
very slow.

I open one page need spend 1-5 mins not just new site but old one.
Especially OR, sometime input review and save for later, but it will bring me 500 Proxy Error, okay I need to re input all review again.

If the submission have lots issues I need spent 10-20min to re-input the review comment, and I don't know whether I face 500 Proxy Error again whether.

Very bad experience of the new release.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by iversonLv) | Reply
I sugguest to write the issue comment into word files,and move them into OR when all review is done.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by soso0574) | Reply
In fact I do.

But after put word file review comment to OR and save, now many case is 500, sometime bad gateway.

Above 2 situation, all OR review comment will only leave first review comment textarea content, all other review comment will be gone.

I notice some review will list all review comment in first textarea to avoid the situation but it's not readable sometime if the review comment is very long..
The team is looking into this. If you could post or email support with the specific challenge we can use that data to help test and replicate the issue.
Thanks for the cool new feature.

Just one tiny thing, can we focus on coding instead of bringing political stuff into the community?

http://screencast.com/t/8nTZgCMP5Q6
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by bannie2492) | Reply
bannie2492: sorry, that was unintentional. We'll fix it.
Right now, here:
https://www.topcoder.com/challenges/develop/active/?pageIndex=1

I've click "View All" and when hovering challenges icons it says mostly :"First to Finish"

The first line is "A" but says "Code"
The second line is "A" says "First to Finish"
The third line is "C" and says "First to Finish"

and so on...

This really makes difficult find contests... I don't keep in mind what means each letter so I hover to know challenge type, and is the hovering output the wrong thing.
Hi, I have a question:

Is there any way to see the list of registrable contests? Not the whole open list, just the ones that are available to register... I'm not finding how to filter this...

In the case this is not possible could you provide a way to distinguish this?

thanks.
f0rc0d3r:
Regarding your first question: that's a bug and on our list of things to fix.
Regarding your second: you can go to the Challenge Listings page (https://www.topcoder.com/challenges/design/active/?pageIndex=1) and sort by phase, then look for Registration. Will that work?
I think this update it's a" must" or bring back the old site studio profile. Right now the contests page is quite useless. The same for other competitions.
Thanks
Regarding the second question not really... if "Registration" word was ordered on top or bottom maybe but it's in the middle of "Submission" and "Final (something)"... so still I have to search in which page it falls...

What's the interest of keeping just one long list for all the contests in any phase? In one hand I want to know the status of my registered challenges and in the other hand I want to know if there's something new interesting to work in and having both things mixed makes me (I don't know if this happens to others) lose some time and in the end I still feel that I'm missing something or that I'm not seeing everything because it's not really clear this separation...

Maybe you could include another checkbox next to "My challenges only" to say "Only new contests"...

One second thing that I think that is very important is the column "Time Left".... time left for doing what? If a person loses a checkpoing phase what's the interest of being able to "register"? Right now I had a checkpoint deadline and time left said "5 days..." ... this is really confusing and if it's confusing to me I cannot imagine to newbies....

For example, right now this contest:
https://www.topcoder.com/challenge-details/30052277/?type=design
in the general list says "time left" 5 Days 19 Hrs" but if you open this you can see checkpoint "1 Day 19 Hours 25 Mins" so just taking a look at the global list I could think that I still have a lot of days to register and start working...
Thanks for keeping the conversation going, f0rc0d3r. fnisen and Victor.George are starting to talk about how to present the UX for challenges, so keep the feedback and ideas coming in...
Yes, thanks f0rc0d3r. Echoing what TonyJ said in his blog post, this update was simply a reskin, but we're working on a functional update for the Challenge Listings page right now, and we'll take your feedback (here and at TCO) into account--along with what we've been hearing from other members.
In what parameter does 'my challenges' in dashboard ordered ?
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by ananthhh) | Reply
It is currently ordering by the submission end date ascending. What would be your preference?
Hey,

Is there a way to access your past SRM Room info (your codes and the room summary in the new UI). I was unable to traverse to my past SRM Summary page in the new Topcoder website.

Earlier, we could just click on our past SRM and it would redirect us to our Room summary page.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by manav92) | Reply
Hi manav92,
You can see room summary here.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by hmehta) | Reply
But this is so inconvenient. I first need to find my room and only then I would be able to find my solution. Earlier, there was a direct link in the graph (on my profile page). Hope, folks at TopCoder add this in the new UI as well.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by manav92) | Reply
manav92 go to your Dashboard or Profile and the SRM section and look at the past SRM cards. They have a link to the match overview, division results, and room results (we added these about a week ago).
Filter in list page does not look good on mobile but other area is responsive. Cant filter by any filter.
May be each drop down could be single at row in mobile.

Also Is there any chance to make detail page too responsive. Scrolling is very difficult to do basic things in detail page. Challenge spec can be horizonrally scrollable for small screen.
Re: Upcoming Releases (response to post by veshu) | Reply
Hi veshu,

Yes, both of those pages will be updated to be responsive. Unfortunately, they aren't fully responsive today but they will be with the next release of those pages.

Thanks,
Tony
I am back:)
I have a suggestion if you still face this problem.
There is a "Preview" button in Review Scoreboard page,before you click "Save" buttons,you can click "Preview" button to check the Preview page.
If Preview page can open fine,you can click "Save".
If Preview page can not be opened,you may also get problem when click on "Save" buttons,you need to wait and check "Preview" page later.
You can also save the Preview page into your local folder,it can be used to compare the current Scoreboard's Preview page which is not save yet,you can find the missing saved comment easily.
If the problem is too often to happen,you may need to use a VPN to help.
RSS