JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Appirio Q: The Forums | Reply
I have been "encouraged" to throw out some questions about the recent TopCoder transfer of ownership. The forums seem to be the place to get more interactivity, compared to the TCO blog (and it is not really a TCO thing). Express your thoughts these specific issues. Maybe we will get official answers. Maybe the discussions will influence what the eventual answer will be. Maybe we will dig up new issues that haven't been considered.

Feel free to express yourself here (and feel free to start your own question threads). So here we go:

Question:
Appirio/CloudSpokes seems to have separate forum and blog things. How will these fit together with TopCoder's forums? Will the forum engine get faster?
Re: Appirio Q: The Forums (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
We were intending on moving the forums over to RFC 1149, but unfortunately we can't get it to scale for the TopCoder Community. We'll be discussing with the community around what platforms need to be re-written. I am actually a fan of the current forums, but sounds like there might be some issues.
>Will the forum engine get faster?
Are you actually unhappy with the current performance of the TopCoder forums? They seem to be working pretty fast now.
Re: Appirio Q: The Forums (response to post by VolodymyrK) | Reply
I am quite happy with the forum performance. I can think of a few nice to haves, like better search and ability to add maths equations.
Re: Appirio Q: The Forums (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
Try loading the "You know your [sic] a TopCoder when..." or "Who starts the most threads" threads (while logged in and displaying images). The main page is, in my opinion, too slow to be the first interface that one sees when one enters the forums. I would like a snappy load there so I (and others, especially new people) immediately get a good feeling about the system. Most of the other pages load acceptably fast.
Yeah good point - those threads are quite slow to load. I guess the problem can be fixed if you split the whole thread into multiple pages and load one page at a time.
Re: Appirio Q: The Forums (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
Yes, I failed to specify that I was using "threaded" view which is the worst single load time. But "flat" view seems to take about one quarter to one half as long to load a single page (with posts per page set to 50), so to look all the pages in flat view takes a much longer time than threaded.
RSS