JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Appirio/TopCoder | Reply
Hello all. We are excited to announce that TopCoder is now part of Appirio!

The TopCoder and Appirio teams wanted to explain what we think the combination will mean here:

By combining TopCoder’s global capacity and design capability with Appirio’s leadership in helping over 500 enterprises reimagine their business with cloud, social and mobile technology, it is an industry shaping event. With TopCoder + CloudSpokes (Appirio’s cloud focused crowd community) customers now have access to nearly 600,000 of the world’s best developers, designers and data analytics experts. Together, the communities bring a sophisticated technology platform to enable crowdsourcing as a core part of the next generation of services.

Appirio, CloudSpokes, and the TopCoder team are absolutely committed to a newly intensified effort to provide all software, studio design, algorithm, and analytics members with more frequent high-quality opportunities to engage, compete, and learn in all of our tracks of competitions. We could tell you: “Don’t worry, this won’t change anything for you”… but what we think instead is: “Guess what? Everything about TopCoder is about to get better!”.

CloudSpokes from its inception has been committed to a high quality community experience. An experience where it is obvious to its members that a strong focus has been placed on not just the quality of the experience, but the overall integrity of the competitions and process. CloudSpokes understands the importance of making the community the most important consideration – always. In this very important way CloudSpokes and TopCoder are a perfect complement to one another. This is why all of us are so excited about contributing to this new chapter in the TopCoder history book.

What does this mean for you? The acquisition will provide members of both developer communities with dramatically more opportunities to earn money while showcasing your respective skills and capabilities. As a part of celebrating this event, we will add an additional track at the TopCoder Open for cloud development, as well as some more soon to be announced surprises for the TCO! In even more exciting news we are doubling Digital Run prizes for October!

For the past 12 years, we’ve watched this community grow to over half a million members, we’ve seen some amazing things from you, and now we are looking forward to paving an even better future for all of you. Dave Messinger, a long time part of the TopCoder community, will become the Chief Community Officer. He will join me in the forums and online to answer questions and discuss the future of our community.

Please view a message from Jack Hughes jhughes and CloudSpokes rep, Dave Messinger mess here: Video

We look forward to starting a new chapter here at TopCoder; with more resources, more opportunities, and more friends for us all. Thank you again for all you do.
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by jhughes) | Reply
Good news, great!
It seems Appirio has few ip access every day.
Great to see you back, mess :)
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by albertwang) | Reply
Great to be back! Real excited to being working with you guys again!
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by mess) | Reply
Glad to see your back:)
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by FireIce) | Reply
Thanks! A few other alumns like scamp, mcards13, silvasurfas and invisiblepilot are all coming back too!
All of us in Studio are very excited about this! And of course, we're so happy to have some of our "family" members back!
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by jwlms) | Reply
Hi Jess, this is great news and I have one question, what if I maintain an account in each sites, will they be combined or no?
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by quesks) | Reply
Quesks - They will remain separate for now, but one of the first items on the agenda is to tackle how to merge the communities. We are very exited about the upcoming improvements to our community platform.
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by quesks) | Reply
We will be merging the communities as quickly as possible. You'll be seeing some contests soon enough to get them merged and we'll release a road map as well.
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by jwlms) | Reply
Yes agreed. Excited for new things to come and happy to be back working with a great group of people/friends!
Good to see you again. Missing ivern, too.
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by Yeung) | Reply
Nice to see everyone again! @ Ghostar,albertwang, TAG,
zaixiang, hello-c, FireIce, MiG-29, Yeung
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by mcards13) | Reply
My feeling is like watching Lost.
Hi mess,
glad to see you again at TopCoder!
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by MiG-29) | Reply
Good to see you again!
Hey Mess!!!

Great to see you again...
This is like an awesome full circle... back again but stronger.

I think this will be awesome!
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by AleaActaEst) | Reply
AleaActaEst Great to be back and see you again! Looking forward to the future!
What would be helpful in this transition is if the new vision of the company can be explained clearly and concisely to the community members with a formal announcement on the newsfeed.

It is a little disconcerting to have to search the internet for links (like this one) trying to understand the reasons and the dynamics of the acquisition.
So are you going to merge the CloudSpkoes challenges to TC platform? I'm not that familiar with CloudSpkoes but sounds like interesting competition tracks.
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by albertwang) | Reply
Lots to do but excited about merging. As with everything, we'll be looking to you guys to do the work and tell us what we should be doing going forward!
Exciting news! I can't wait to work with TC+Studio again!
Great news! I'm really looking forward to how this will expand what we can do, and I can't think of a better company to acquire TC, knowing how many great past employees of TC now work at Appirio.

I had figured TC was going to be acquired at some point, and my biggest concern was whether or not the acquiring company would "get" what TC does, and that is not a concern I have at all with Appirio. They have a deep understanding of what TC does, how TC can be leveraged, and the power of our community, which is huge.
So happy about this. Congratulations to everyone at Appirio/TopCoder!
Super exciting news! I can't wait to get to work with our awesome Studio community again :)
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by invisiblepilot) | Reply
Good News !! Hoping more exciting work for the community.
Having been a TopCoder member, TopCoder employee, and currently an Appirio employee, I can say this is definitively combining the best of the best in cloud and competitions. Super excited to be working with TopCoder again.
I have to confess that I was confused at the beginning, wasn't sure about how a company buy out works. But after reading a bit more about Appirio and what they do I figure where this is going to. I have like one thousand questions in my mind but overall I understand the initial road map.

I don't know how to feel yet about this but I guess once I start seeing the merge in action I'll get to know better. For now I am feeling excited about the new challenges and clients that will be brought to us, and VERY HAPPY for the old members-staff coming back to TC - welcome back!
Would that affect normal Algorithms' Single Round Matches (SRM)?
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by taki_77) | Reply
There will be no affect at all on SRMs. They will continue as is.
No chance to get it back to 4 SRMs / month?
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by taki_77) | Reply
We are definitely considering improvements. Any other ideas?
I guess one thing is the TCHS, it used to gather IOI students.
TCC
More marathon matches of the "original" classes of problems (abstract, like SRMs).

Welcome back guys.
Appirio/TopCoder Changes (response to post by mess) | Reply
Change suggestions? How about
$$$ Prize money $$$

on every match, marathon and algorithm. I bet you would see a lot more participation.
Nice to see mess back!

But will TopCoder Inc. continue to operate as legal entity?
Who will be sending paycheck to TopCoders?
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by TAG) | Reply
TAG great to be back and expect you to still be keeping us honest! The entity will be rolled into one but don't expect any payment disruptions.
There are some legal paperwork needed for getting payments flawlessly in Ukraine.

This is reason why I was asking about TopCoder Inc. fate and company name on paycheck ;-)

P.S> As well all W8-BEN forms can "expire" as it will be different company name listed on form.
I think it is pretty easy in the US for parts of corporations to operate as distinct businesses and put different names on checks. But in this case it seems to make sense to merge in one entity.

But I think TopCoder is a much better name than Appirio or CloudSpokes.
I bet Appirio/CloudSpokes just saw a giant spike in new memberships.
What implications will this have for Algorithm and Marathon competitors, which are the majority of competitors on TC? Will we have more competitions? What about bigger prizes? Also are the problems going to become more real-world or stay the same?
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
i am also concerning what changes will apply to assembly contests. Will there be more contests in a month? Will the payment be raised for each contests? Or will the rules be changed?
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by morehappiness) | Reply
All contests will continue as is. The combined entity will drive more work to the community. It will take us some time to integrate the companies.
Re: Appirio/TopCoder (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
We will be soliciting ideas for improvements. You'll see more updates on this over the the week.
Looking forward to working with everyone from TopCodoer. Everyone I've met so far has been great!
RSS