JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Registration closed ten minutes before contest | Reply
Why?
Re: Registration closed ten minutes before contest (response to post by alkaid) | Reply
oops...sorry about that.
Re: Registration closed ten minutes before contest (response to post by alkaid) | Reply
It closes 10 minutes before the contest so that they have adequate time to assign everyone who has registered to a room. Perhaps other things go on behind the scenes too.

In either case, there is a 2hour 55minute window to register, so if you failed to get in this time, just try to register earlier.
It is very common misunderstanding that when coding phase was moved from xx:00 to xx:05, that registration was moved too.

Reason for moving start from xx:00 to xx:05 described Cricicle in previous post. In few SRMs the start was on xx:02, but it happend that room assignment was finished after coding phase start and as we know - if room assignment is not finished you cannot enter (but I remember just one such SRM, when it started on xx:02, AFAIK it didn't happen when SRM started on xx:00).

In complete rules there is concrete time specified when the registration ends.

Maybe there are some improvements possible

• add registration end time information on event page

• registration end time is not in schedule in arena too

• maybe it is possible add some warning to "Event Time Announcer" page

On the other hand more experienced coders know that already, so it's questionable if it is worth.
Re: Registration closed ten minutes before contest (response to post by Betlista) | Reply
During the registration period, doesn’t the main window of the Arena show something like “Registration for SRM 534 will be closed five minutes before the competition starts”? I do not remember it exactly, but if this is the case, then it is incorrect and should be fixed.
RSS