JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
"Surprise Me" mini-contest | Reply
My next blog post is an attempt at something new - a mini-contest which involves solving Qual 1 problem in a surprising way. Make sure to check it if your solutions to GCJ Qual are written in more than 4 different languages, or even if they are not ;-)

As usual this year, you can post discussion or ask for clarifications in this thread.
Re: "Surprise Me" mini-contest (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
So, the contest is over, and I've received 6 entries for it. They are really nice, meaning I'll have a hard time picking the best one :-) The results will be up later this week (I just don't want you to think I've forgotten about this).
When exactly is "later this week"? I'm starting to get curious and would love to see al submissions :-)
Re: "Surprise Me" mini-contest (response to post by jthread) | Reply
This particular instance of "later this week" is tomorrow, I promise.
The submissions and the results are up here.

Any comments on this contest? I have more Surprise Packs to give away, and at the moment I'm deciding whether I should run another similar contest or invent something completely different.
Wow, congratulations to bozzball, that's really a great way to solve the problem!
I enjoyed participating in this contest as well as seeing the variety of approaches people came up with. In general I would be happy with any contest that invites creativity and lateral thinking.

I imagine you could get some mileage out of running this particular type of contest again. For one thing, it would give bozzball a chance to defend his crown. It would also be interesting to see if the entries become more conservative or more outlandish on the second running of the experiment.
-- run another similar contest or invent something completely different

I vote for both.

Try as I might, I could not see how to make an FFT based solution for this problem (without presorting).
Perhaps next time you can allow everyone to vote for the winner.
Re: "Surprise Me" mini-contest (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
Then we need more explanation, because it took me some time to understand and so appreciate some of the solutions.

I like to see another "surprise me". The various solutions are interesting to read.
The second contest of the series is up, this time with slightly different rules. Let's see if this one will be as surprising as the first one.
What is the definition of "letters" for this problem? Normally I think of only alphabetical characters as letters, but I suspect that you had more in mind.

What is included? digits? punctuation? white space?
Re: "Surprise Me" mini-contest (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
I just assumed that in order to win one should interpret the rules in whatever manner makes it the most difficult to follow.
Re: "Surprise Me" mini-contest (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
All non-whitespace characters (shame on me for not specifying this in the statement - evidently blogger part of me is more airy than problemsetter part).
The submission deadline is extended till June 20th (in your time zone), so as to include this weekend as well.
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS