Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Cookbook news | Reply
Hi all,

I've kept silent on this project for a while (my bad), but now I have quite a pack of news for you.

For last 15 months our progress on this project has been rather slow. Some of you didn't have time you expected to, some of you felt that a writing contest without specific deadline is not urgent, and some of you just lost faith. Maybe too late, but now we have a set deadline: to-production of the book is February 15th, and it won't be delayed any more (we don't want O'Reilly to lose faith as well, do we?). This means that January 15th is the deadline for submitting recipes - after this no new recipes or major contributions will be accepted, and we'll focus on editing existing content.

We did some talking with people at TCO and later, and we've decided to limit the book to Algorithm and Marathon parts only. We feel that we don't have a good enough idea for Software/Studio chapters, so it's better to focus on delivering the part which we're sure about. By the way, narrowing the scope of the book means less recipes (we're keeping the structure we've worked on before) and better payment per recipe.

And finally, to add some "real" feel to the book, here is the cover for the TopCoder Cookbook - a lizard Agama Spinosa or equivalent.
Re: Cookbook news (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
Great news. I better update my recipes now. I really like the cover, but why is the tail chopped off?
It is great that the deadline is set, and the payment will be better. But do you know when we receive T-shirts for contribution? And T-shirts for participating in TCO? :)
And the link to the cover doesn't work for some reason...
Re: Cookbook news (response to post by Ferlon) | Reply
We've been rather busy before TCO finals so we didn't send the T-shirts, and now it makes more sense to wait till all winners are figured out (shouldn't be too long now).

TCO ones are already sent, so now it's a question of time (and local mail... I still haven't got my GCJ t-shirt :-().

Try this link.
What about 15th January? Is it deadline or not?
Re: Cookbook news (response to post by caustique) | Reply
Judging from our current state, I'll have to extend this one. However, February 15th still holds, so please plan your time accordingly.
How close are we? Can we get an update of what remains to be done?
Re: Cookbook news (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
So, what's about a new deadline day? Isn't still there any informaiton?
Re: Cookbook news (response to post by Ferlon) | Reply
Sorry, still nothing. I'm waiting for O'Reilly editors' comment on this.
is it true that for example my article will be published only if you will invite me to "Algorithm Competition Rewriting Phase"?
Re: Cookbook news (response to post by ibra) | Reply
No, why? This phase was for people who submitted back in 2009 to separate their rewrites from new recipes.
wheeeee! thank you for reply :)
oh, it seems to me that we will have no news until tco ends :(
Re: Cookbook news (response to post by ibra) | Reply
Actually, I'm preparing some news, should be out this week. The progress is slow but still non-zero :-)
at Oreilly's site shows this book is cancelled:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596802707.do

is that correct ?
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS