JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Discarded | Reply
Sorry. I can't rewrite it.
Re: 3.2. Setting Up Your Environment/Keeping Track of Your Progress (response to post by amiune) | Reply
This could be a start, but it still needs a lot of work.

In "Problem" I'd stress not the scoring bad itself but rather 1) losing track of changes which turned out to be efficient and 2) spending on organizing your solution more time than is necessary.

You don't need to mention things covered in other recipes, like reading the statement, inventing approaches and optimizing. Concentrate on things directly related to setting up the efficient kind of environment. Assume that so far you're working with the provided visualizer (rewriting it will be covered in next recipe).

As for the latter, I expect to see:
- mentions of using version control system to keep track of all versions of solution and differences between versions (which is quite tricky without VCS).
- means of running tests in batches and storing the results.
- means of keeping track of scores and comparing them: not just mentioning that this is necessary but showing how to automate this.
- tools to use to do all of the above.

These things are necessary if you spend two weeks on the match and have lots of ideas to try.

Remember that you can post screenshots, for example, a spreadsheet which shows comparison of two solutions or the results of running comparison program, whichever you use.
Re: 3.2. Setting Up Your Environment/Keeping Track of Your Progress (response to post by amiune) | Reply
Discarded
Do you actually do all this stuff - using VCS, automating testing and doing advanced calculations to compare solution? And are the examples taken from the real problem? I somehow feel that what you write is theoretical - for example, storing each solution in separate directory is hardly something to advise.
Re: 3.2. Setting Up Your Environment/Keeping Track of Your Progress (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
Discarded
RSS