JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Ferlon) | Reply
Using next_permutation to iterate through all permutations is O(n!).
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by it4.kp) | Reply
Oh, numerical experiment says you are right, but I don't know how to prove this.
The next_permutation works like this:

it looks for a longest decreasing sequence in the end ant then does a swap and reverse.

For example, if the current permutation ends in 2,4,3,1 then the longest
decreasing sequence is 4,3,1. It swaps 2 and the smallest element that is bigger than it, in our case it's 3. So we have 3,4,2,1. And then reverse the last (still decreasing) sequence, so we have 3, 1, 2, 3. In other words for each decreasing sequence of length K it does O(K) operations.

How many permutations with the longest decreasing sequence in the end with length 1? It's n!/2. With length 2? It's n!/6 and so on...

So, we have a sum n! * ( 1/2! + 2/3! + ... + (n-1)/n! ) which is easily evaluated to n! * (1 - 1/n!), which is O(n!).
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
Hi!
I have a question. How can I place images in my article?
What else can I do you to be able to add me to "started by"?
Thank you.
Hi!
I want to be a second author of article of Ferlon Finding Maximum Flow Using Ford-Fulkerson Method I can add some information and example. Can I do that? If yes, where should I post it? Maybe in Ferlon's Finding Maximum Flow Using Ford-Fulkerson Method post?
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by ibra) | Reply
Hi,

I'm really sorry for the delay - I've forwarded your recipe and a few others (including the Ford-Fulkerson one) to reviewers, and will need their verdict to proceed.

As for the images, the only way to include them so far is to place them elsewhere and add a link to them to the recipe.
Thank you.

And what about being a second author of Ferlon's Finding Maximum Flow Using Ford-Fulkerson Method article? Should I speak to him about it? Should I post it in his post?

Thank you.
What's a matter? You are welcome to leave any comments to any recipe with additional relevant information.
ok
what is deadline for posting articles(I have one more)?
The deadline is when we have the book ready.

To everybody: I've been away for quite some time due to unexpected surgery, but now I'm recovering and will be able to devote more time to Cookbook project. Thanks everybody for your patience!
I am really sorry to hear that. I wish you a good and quick recovery.
I am disappointed and surprised because of not being announced as author of the article I created with Ferlon:

"Finding Maximum Flow Using Ford-Fulkerson Algorithm started by Ferlon"
Once again, please be patient. I've already mentioned that graph recipes have to be processed and commented by reviewers before we can say something final about them, and that I have health problems which make me less efficient on this project than I'd like to be. This means that the comments on some recipes will probably be delayed till after TCO. I have every recipe we still have to comment noted down, so there's really no need to remind me about them separately.
What should the recipes be like?
Is it more like "Topcoder competitions for dummies" or more like "Best practices in topcoder competitions"? In other words, what is better: simple overview for beginners or detailed advice which can really help all the competitors? Or something in the middle?
Sorry if this question was already answered somewhere...

I'd like to write Marathon recipe for "Using SSE".
I think it'll be large.
Are there any requirements for recipe size?
I can cut some performance advice which I think is required.
Also I can add more code samples (but SSE samples are usually big!).
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >

RSS