View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Darkstalker_mdy) | Reply
July 2012
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Nickolas) | Reply
When the book will release ?
As soon as the deadline is January 15-th and today is 23-th January, I want to ask 2 questions:
1)Why my name isn't mentioned as a coauthor of article "Finding Maximum Flow Using Ford-Fulkerson Method"? Will it be?
2)Will my article "Solving Minimal Cut Problem" be placed to CookBook?

I appreciate your speedy answer :)
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by devwebcl) | Reply
This recipe hasn't been attempted yet, so sure you can write it. Right, January 15th is the deadline. Yes, you just post the recipe to "Algorithm Competitions - New Recipes" forum.
Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder if still there is a chance to write a recipe for Regular Expression, I have a draft that I need to work to be a more cookbook type recipe. I read that the deadline is January 15th. Is this right ?

Do I have only to submit in the forum the recipe ?
then it can participate in the process to be chosen ?

Regards,

--Devwebcl
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by devwebcl) | Reply
If a task allows several approaches - one using language libraries, and another language-independent - the recipe should cover both. Check Iterating Over All Permutations of an Array one - it shows both C++ next_permutation and generalized algorithm for other languages.

The recipes should use only libraries and tool available during SRMs.
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Ferlon) | Reply
Hi,

I think there are better approach in special cases than using next_permutation, also that method is only for C++ and I work only with Java therefore could be a more generic writing for this permutation article ?

On the same track, I wonder if I try to write for algorithm how can I speak for implementations in different languages. Actually I'd like to try for Regular Expressions, but this is very tied to the libraries of each language, unless we were going to use tools as Lex, but I think that kind of tools i out of book's scope.

Regards,

Devwebcl
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by syg96) | Reply
They should be both. Recipes closer to the start of the book should be "for dummies" kind - to help someone really unfamiliar with the topic start competing. The recipes on actual algorithms should be closer to "best practices" - at least that's what I'm trying to make them. I don't think we can really make the book thrilling for targets, but having recipes useful for yellows is definitely great. Actually, if you can think of some topic you'd like to cover that is not present in the structure so far, feel free to post it here, and I'll include it.

I'd be absolutely happy to have you write this recipe! Large is ok, since that's the specifics of the topic - don't cut anything! :-)
What should the recipes be like?
Is it more like "Topcoder competitions for dummies" or more like "Best practices in topcoder competitions"? In other words, what is better: simple overview for beginners or detailed advice which can really help all the competitors? Or something in the middle?
Sorry if this question was already answered somewhere...

I'd like to write Marathon recipe for "Using SSE".
I think it'll be large.
Are there any requirements for recipe size?
I can cut some performance advice which I think is required.
Also I can add more code samples (but SSE samples are usually big!).
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by ibra) | Reply
Once again, please be patient. I've already mentioned that graph recipes have to be processed and commented by reviewers before we can say something final about them, and that I have health problems which make me less efficient on this project than I'd like to be. This means that the comments on some recipes will probably be delayed till after TCO. I have every recipe we still have to comment noted down, so there's really no need to remind me about them separately.
I am disappointed and surprised because of not being announced as author of the article I created with Ferlon:

"Finding Maximum Flow Using Ford-Fulkerson Algorithm started by Ferlon"
I am really sorry to hear that. I wish you a good and quick recovery.
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by ibra) | Reply
The deadline is when we have the book ready.

To everybody: I've been away for quite some time due to unexpected surgery, but now I'm recovering and will be able to devote more time to Cookbook project. Thanks everybody for your patience!
what is deadline for posting articles(I have one more)?
Re: Cookbook update (new prizes!) (response to post by Ferlon) | Reply
ok
[ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >

RSS