JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions | Reply
Hi all, well some friend has tell me about this course, i think with some effort of my family and me i will be able to pay the course and travel to Brazil, but im not sure of a lot of things, well lets start:
i ask here because i know that Brazilian teams going to world finals will be part of the course:

1.In this link says: "If your team has not qualified for the 2010 World Cup Final and you (and / or your team) are interested in participating in the course of this page for more information."
so i really want to go, even if my level its still not strong, im training most hard i can and i want to learn most i can, so i can have better chances this year as this is my last chance for ICPC. my first question is can a single person be part of the course(my team will not be able to go)?
2. People from other countries like Colombia can take the course or just Brazilian people?
3. How many spots are for the course so if i need to move faster to get a spot i will!
4. In this page says complete price is about $ 840,00 so this cost includes staying in the university, and food and all this stuff?
(also in this other web page is about $15 per nigth) so which price is the correct for summing costs for the complete trip.
5. The language of the complete course will be only in Portuguese or in English, in case it is in Portuguese i will not be able to go. also i would like to know in case that is on English some parts of the course problem sets and tests will be in English?
6. Any other advice or help that i should need i will be grateful!

I think this is all my questions , i think of maybe this is not the correct place for some of this questions, but support mail service in web page of this course its like not for questions like this.

Thanks!
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by CamiloSoto) | Reply
I've been wondering the same (except 2 for which apparently the answer is yes).

Note the prices are in R$ not $ (Basically the half).
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by CamiloSoto) | Reply
Ignore: for some reason I thought this is an online course.
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
AFAIK .. if im not wrong Petr, is going to be just for a week, the other professor i know from topcoder is ctgPi
1. They recommend that you go with your team, because two out of the six days of training in a week have problem sets meant to be solved by a team, but I think individuals can participate just fine.

2. I have no idea. wanderley, can you answer this one?

3. That's kind of a troubling point: I heard rumors that all 56 extra spots (i.e. the ones that aren't for Brazilian world finalists) were taken 2 days after the signup process began, but I'm not sure if that's true. I'm hoping wanderley will give us accurate information on this, too.

4. The R$840.00 value you mention is not the cost. It's the amount of money you receive as a support if you apply for USP's summer courses and get accepted. I don't think this is applicable for this particular training course. The cost of R$15.00 per night (US$ 8.52) refers to housing for students.

5. I'm guessing Brazilian speakers will speak in portuguese, but the problem sets will be in English. wanderley will teach the first week, then ctgPi and SteinBR will teach the second one, then Petr, then wanderley again.

I have no specific advice, but feel free to ask questions. I've asked wanderley (by email) to comment on the points I didn't know how to answer.
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by MauricioC) | Reply
well looks like chances to go are not high :'(.
Any way is there a mail address to ask for:
1.Some extra spots?
2.Complete information about food prices, and staying at university, for this time.(or if course costs includes all this stuff)
I have sent almost same message of the thread to this 2 mail address that are in the links i gave above.
a) verao@ime.usp.br
b) alojacepe@usp.br
don't know if there is other one, because i have not get response from them

thanks!
Petr training brazilian teams? It's unfair! I also want to be Latin American Champion!
I'd also like to know if there are any extra spots. CamiloSoto, do you already have an estimate of how much the trip would totally cost from Colombia?
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by ltaravilse) | Reply
You know, you could try taking the more proactive approach like CamiloSoto in here...
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by ltaravilse) | Reply
I dont see why is unfair. In my opinion is a really great opportunity for all latin americans. Hope to have this kind of courses every year ( i mean, not only in Brazil but in each southamerica region).
Maybe you could try also sending a message directly to wanderley using the "Send a message" option of topcoder.
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by victor.juquila) | Reply
thanks all, well i arrive late for the spots they are empty :'(, i talked with wanderley, he tells me that and that anyway there is still a chance that they open some extra spots but that's not sure, also he tells me that is possible that course is open for next years so people be ready for it!!
Not unfair... there are plenty of brazilian coaches training national soccer teams all around the world :)
A question for the TopCoders that live in São Paulo:
Supossing that the spots are empty when the non-brazilians arrive, how much will cost per-night in other places (plus transport to USP).
Re: Petr (IME-USP) Brazilian ICPC trainning course questions (response to post by Gareve) | Reply
I lived in Sao Paulo until August 2009, the cost of living according to friends of Bogota is similar. But I think they should first secure the vacancies ...
http://www.ime.usp.br/verao/inscr/include/inscricao.php?
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS