JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Malkava) | Reply
But you will know which team you are about to join and you can also get a clear idea of their general interest and what they're trying to accomplish. This is usually sufficient to decide whether or not you will be interested in this role.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by eleusive) | Reply
O yeah...there are a lot.

The main point is that I need someone who can refer me there and give me a chance to prove myself.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by QASH) | Reply
As I see it, you don't usually have to 'prove yourself' at interview: they'll dig very deep into your past looking for all kinds of 'proof'. So, you should actually 'prove yourself' _before_ interview.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Orange_Cloud) | Reply
dig very deep into your past

It is not like he'll work with the CIA! This doesn't happen.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Khaled_912) | Reply
Well, may be not that deep :) I just tried to tell they're interested in what you already done and the answer "I'm waiting for a cool company like yours to unfold my potential" ain't gonna work. And certainly, you should expect your references/past bosses to be contacted (in case you advance far enough in recruiting process).
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Orange_Cloud) | Reply
Well, the CV filtering process is the most unfair phase in the hiring pipeline. Companies like Google and Microsoft get tons of CVs. It is very difficult to judge a person merely from his CV and doing phone screens for all applicants is impossible. Even if someone has a good history as you mention, it is very likely that his CV will end up being missed. This is why I said that having referrals is the way to go.
:-)
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Khaled_912) | Reply
That's where Topcoder may help you, to get your CV inside through a far less crowded channel. I'm a proof that the little radioboxes you sometimes get when registering for a SRM can actually work.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by slex) | Reply
Yeah how did I forget that? Participating in the GCJ and going onsite will most probably get you to a phone interview with Google.
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]

RSS