JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by slex) | Reply
Yeah how did I forget that? Participating in the GCJ and going onsite will most probably get you to a phone interview with Google.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Khaled_912) | Reply
That's where Topcoder may help you, to get your CV inside through a far less crowded channel. I'm a proof that the little radioboxes you sometimes get when registering for a SRM can actually work.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Orange_Cloud) | Reply
Well, the CV filtering process is the most unfair phase in the hiring pipeline. Companies like Google and Microsoft get tons of CVs. It is very difficult to judge a person merely from his CV and doing phone screens for all applicants is impossible. Even if someone has a good history as you mention, it is very likely that his CV will end up being missed. This is why I said that having referrals is the way to go.
:-)
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Khaled_912) | Reply
Well, may be not that deep :) I just tried to tell they're interested in what you already done and the answer "I'm waiting for a cool company like yours to unfold my potential" ain't gonna work. And certainly, you should expect your references/past bosses to be contacted (in case you advance far enough in recruiting process).
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Orange_Cloud) | Reply
dig very deep into your past

It is not like he'll work with the CIA! This doesn't happen.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by QASH) | Reply
As I see it, you don't usually have to 'prove yourself' at interview: they'll dig very deep into your past looking for all kinds of 'proof'. So, you should actually 'prove yourself' _before_ interview.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by eleusive) | Reply
O yeah...there are a lot.

The main point is that I need someone who can refer me there and give me a chance to prove myself.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Malkava) | Reply
But you will know which team you are about to join and you can also get a clear idea of their general interest and what they're trying to accomplish. This is usually sufficient to decide whether or not you will be interested in this role.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by AjJi) | Reply
This is irrelevant in this case. Once you join Google or Microsoft, you won't know exactly what you'll work in until your first day of work. Of course, there are exceptions for this rule.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
But it's not common that those kinds of companies will assign you jobs that pleases you. But they pay high wages, though.

I'm working for a company that pays a very good wage, but now I decided to move to another one that will pay me less (not a lot less), but doing something that pleasures me a lot more, and I'm happy for that.
What you are working on is more important than where you are working.
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by eleusive) | Reply
Indeed.

Some of the investment banks and hedge funds employ top, top people.
I think that I have the potential to work in these companies and I also want to work with the best brains of the world.

Are these really the only two companies that meet such criteria? :)
Re: How to get through Microsoft or Google (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
Form a successful web startup that goes from zero to millions of dollars of revenue in the first year and they will probably get in touch with you!

Alternatively, and much more in keeping with recent history, get some seed capital and form a startup that is successful at generating a lot of attention by giving stuff away and hemorrhaging money (at least millions per month, but if you can reach "lose a million a day" that would be ideal). Get purchased on the wild speculation that somehow all the attention and traffic will somehow be monetized someday (with someday being long after you've cashed the cheque, or never at all).
Yeah thats right :) I was probably in a hurry.

I think that I have the potential to work in these companies and I also want to work with the best brains of the world. I am sure, I can utilize my knowledge and skills in these companies.
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS