JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by yellowgreen) | Reply
While waiting for the Live Archive, you can have a look at the scanned version first.

OOT: Hmm... talking about spams, Google Groups is dead because of it.

Seemed the spammers get ahead of Googlers?
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by myrtactle) | Reply
Thanks and congrats. Goodluck in WF.
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by yellowgreen) | Reply
Yes, it's usually posted online just like the 2005 and 2006 Manila regionals. I just don't know when.
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by myrtactle) | Reply
Is the problem set available online?
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by arkar) | Reply
I have no hard feelings to those that have suspicions. Given the same situation (i.e. I haven't read the problems yet and see the results as such), I will raise my alarm, too. But I hope your suspicions will be gone, soon.

I'm happy that we won, but at the same time not as happy because we just won a speed contest. We also trained, too, and would like to apply those practice into actual competition. I just hope we can prove ourselves better in the World Finals.
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by those) | Reply
Yes, it's possible to solve the problem without the clarification. As I remember it's just a '-' character that's supposed to be '+' (and from manual computation it's obvious that it's supposed to be a '+').
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by broken_arrow) | Reply
I'm from the team that ranked first in the regionals. I expected this suspicion will come out, but rest assured, after you read the problem set, I hope you will not wonder anymore, the problem set is really "easy".

Many of the problems are straight-forward - you just have to know how to solve it - and then almost any implementation will work. I myself at one point wondered why the other teams are taking its time. I'm not sure yet - perhaps they only have one implementor, or perhaps their technique is different. Perhaps, one of the reasons, too, is because we're used to relatively easy problems. For example, many of our practice problem sets are from GNY (which are relatively easy compared to others).

We solved Problem D fast because it's really straightforward and the only "difficult" part is input parsing and output format, and we're used to that. We clarified the wrong output example in Problem D, and the judges even said that it is really correct. But we are confident in our solution so we submitted anyway. This is not the first time an example output is wrong in the problem set (especially contests held here in the Philippines), so we just submitted it and hope that if it's wrong, we can clarify later better. Fortunately, it's correct.
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by jaher) | Reply
If people cheat in SRM-s, which gives just some rating points, why wouldn't they cheat in official competition?

I know similar case that happened in NEERC.
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by arkar) | Reply
Shouldn't encourage wrong example data as a way to detect cheating either :)
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by mogers) | Reply
Frankly, what really amazes me about this is how bad they are at cheating. (Not that I am encouraging them to get better :P)
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by those) | Reply
If I understand it correctly, the example output for the problem was wrong. I would never even think about submitting a solution that doesn't pass the example, unless there has been a clarification of course. Depending on the problem it might be not impossible to solve it (some mistakes could be 'obvious') but at least it's suspicious in this case.
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by felix_halim) | Reply
I'm also shocked by the result. Not only because so many teams solved all problems, but also the local team solved it so quickly.

Has anyone read the problem sets? I would really want to read the problem set.
What is the clarification about? Is it impossible to solve the problem without the clarification?
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by felix_halim) | Reply
Here is the complete ranklist from the RCD.

FYI, the RCD has been informed and is currently investigating the leakage.

Of course you can help them by analyzing the ranklist above and post your findings/thoughts here :)
Im from the Philippines and just noticed the results today. I was really amazed by the results by the first time I saw it. That was really fast coding, 10 problems in less than 2 hours. That was tough. I doubt about the result at first. But when I knew that a TC handle is one of the members of the winning team - myrtactle. My doubt lessened. But still its in there. That winning university has an elective called Art of Programming Challenges. Not sure about, thats what I heard. Im way down south and really dont know about that.

Lets just see how that team would perform at Harbin. Goodluck to all.
Re: ICPC Regional Manila 2009 problems were too Easy? Regional problemset verifications? (response to post by rajeshsr) | Reply
OT: Is it possible to include a cc in the header but not really send it?

This situation kind of blows. Hope that next time regionals' problem setters get a good set of rules of what to do and what not to do. I.e. sending problem statements and data by email from just a request like this should probably not be the normal way to deal with problem sets.

Edit: PGP should probably be a good idea as well.
[ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >

RSS