JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Rating Distribution Anomaly | Reply
If you go to anyone's Member Profile (could be your own) and click on Rating Distribution, you will see this anomaly: the 2nd green bar is shorter than the other green bars on either side. This bar significantly deviates from the bell-shaped curve.

How would you explain this deviation ?
Re: Rating Distribution Anomaly (response to post by dennismv) | Reply
I guess it got something to do with how the default rating for new coders is 1200.
That's probably because changing from DIV2 to DIV1 is hard because of the way the rating system works: If you have a rating close to 1200, which is what you need in order to jump to DIV1 in the next SRM, you are expected to perform very well (i.e. top 10) in the division in the next match; anything else will lead to a rating drop.

The division system ends up playing against you when you try to get past the 1200 barrier.
Re: Rating Distribution Anomaly (response to post by MauricioC) | Reply
And also many people is good enough to jump from DIV 2 to DIV 1 but not good enough to stay on DIV 1.
It happened to me in my first DIV 1 SRM and it didn't happen again just because I practiced a lot just to stay in DIV 1, otherwise I would be jumping from DIV to DIV.
As a related question, the numbers the graph shows sum up to a number way higher than the number of active contestants. Does it include all rated members?
RSS