JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
"Facebook for Professional Programmers" | Reply
You can comment here about this story.
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by denis) | Reply
Nice interview. With the usual inaccuracies we have come to expect in any news piece, but right now I'm rooting for Topcoder to get all the publicity it can!!

I do hope, though, that this years TCO announcers will pronounce former champion Jan_Kuipers' name properly. It's not quite the same as "John". :-)
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by royappa) | Reply
"Kuipers" is pronounced like "John?" I am completely surprised.
[Sorry to hijack the thread so early.]
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by royappa) | Reply
Jeremy Schaap, who was the announcer in the TCO 2007 video (of which a tiny bit was shown here) did a spectacularly great job. It demonstrates that he is complete professional in his line of work. Clearly as an outsider, he must have put in quite a bit of research to speak knowledgeably about the competition and clearly he had lots of help from insiders. Before the competition I did not expect that an outside commentator could do a believable job on such a specialized knowledge intensive event. But he completely exceeded the limits of my imagination. The TCO 2007 videos will be very difficult to match for quality. I don't know how much he got paid for the gig, but TopCoder sure got their money's worth from him.

In the snippet of the video here, Jeremy is pronouncing Jan_Kuipers' first name (as far as my untrained and dyslexic ear can tell) like the English word "yawn." I thought that was the right way (or as close as you could expect to get in English). Is there some problem with that? You could listen to the original video where he gets to say "Jan_Kuipers" many times if you really want to grade him on his pronunciation. The real embarrassing mispronunciation incident in TopCoder announcing history was a bit earlier in a different year and with a different champion, Petr. But I think the staff learned a big lesson that day and have been careful since.
Did anyone else noticed Petr and bmerry are in the US in that world map filled with TopCoders?.
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by roypalacios) | Reply
and here's the link for the wall art's picture in that video.
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by roypalacios) | Reply
FYI... I'm in Brazil! I spent some valuable time looking at the picture (which we have hanging in the office and I love by the way...). Me and mess are hanging out in Brazil :)
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
Well explained, thanks.

In that case, I apologize for the accusation. I have not seen the original video (surprising for the TC fanboy that I am...), and in the current snippet it sounded to me like a "J" instead of a "Y". I should have listened to it a couple of times.
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by jmpld40) | Reply
So THAT's why TCO dates announcement is delayed.
bmerry is actually working in the US last i heard
lol!

thanks, that gave me the biggest giggle this morning :)
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
In the snippet of the video here, Jeremy is pronouncing Jan_Kuipers' first name (as far as my untrained and dyslexic ear can tell) like the English word "yawn." I thought that was the right way (or as close as you could expect to get in English).

You're right, it's relatively good for an English speaker. I had more trouble recognizing mathijs in that snippet. The Dutch coders have hard to pronounce names anyway. krijgertje has both an ij and a g that English speakers can't pronounce, and Jan_Kuipers has an ui too. At least people can call me by my English nick. =)

The real embarrassing mispronunciation incident in TopCoder announcing history was a bit earlier in a different year and with a different champion, Petr.

Do spill? I think before I made it on-site I would mispronounce Petr as Peter, although apparently it's more (or exactly?) like Pyotr.
Re: "Facebook for Professional Programmers" (response to post by Soultaker) | Reply
Yes, in Russian alphabet there are three "e"'s: е (as "ye" in "yen"), э (as "e" in "men"), and ё (as "yo" in yolk). In Cyrillic he's written "Пётр".
RSS