JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Re: "Bookshelf" section in CV. (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
If books is written by yourself it goes to list of "publications".

I asked this question at stackoverflow.com and got an answer that I like. Let me rephrase it:

While ability to read technical stuff and learn from printed material is a competitive advantage many hiring managers and initial-screeners wrongly expect everyone to be everyone applying for technical position to be equally capable at this. Tell about how much you love "Code Complete" during the interview in person.
Re: "Bookshelf" section in CV. (response to post by muxecoid) | Reply
If it is books you have written then that is good.
I've put in a particular area of self-study, if I have a focused one. I don't think a book list is a good idea. Although, keep in mind that your potential employer should (if any good) Google on your name, and in my case you can find a pretty complete reading list along with my commentaries on some of the books.

(But don't try to try to slap out a whole book list with commentaries in an evening so that an employer will find it, that will probably look suspicious. In my case, the site I participate in is a community of book people with a software bent that I've been a member of for a couple years. Also, LinkedIn has a way to track and review the books you are reading. A blog is also good.)
I don't think it's a good idea for several reasons.

The main one is that such a list should be rather exhaustive to give a good appreciation of what you've done and this could be very place consuming at your resume (at least me, in financial area, I read tens or hundreds of books, it would be hard to list them all).

Secondly, you can read a book and don't really learn the ideas it contains (this is especially true in CS).

If you have some skills in that areas, I would rather put it in skills, and detail a little bit, then there will be time to speak about books if you get an interview.
Re: "Bookshelf" section in CV. (response to post by Mloody2000) | Reply
I have no formal degree in Comp. Sc. So I want to let my potential employer know that I read smart books. Like GoF Design Patterns, Code Complete, etc...
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "Bookshelf" ? I googled it quickly, but found nothing relevant.
"Bookshelf" section in CV. | Reply
Do you have "Bookshelf" section in your CV? What do you put there? Do you think it is the right thing to do?
RSS