Get Time
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >
Re: Google (response to post by mogers) | Reply
Even in India where people in IT usually work for close to 16 hours a day, I don't see Google following that culture (though I have seen people working like that at times).
I can speak for myself and as of now I definitely don't work 16 hours for sure. I stay in office from 9.00 - 19.00 and that includes time spent in Cafeteria, Foosball, etc :)
When there is a deadline people tend to work more. But that is common in any industry I think.

I think the most important point is 'Noone is forced to work'. If I work insane hours, then it is by choice and work and the environment are more interesting here compared to majority of companies in India.
Re: Google (response to post by broutcha) | Reply
Thank you very much for clearing this up :)

I'll tell my teacher :)
Re: Google (response to post by eraserhd) | Reply
AFAIK, the claim 'googlers work an average 80h/week' is totally wrong. It may have been true in the startup days though, but including week-ends then.

The googlers I know have wildly different work ethics. Some work regularly from 9:00 to 18:00 every day, some (including myself) have big bursts of productivity like 24h-long coding marathons, followed by some kind of day off..
It really depends on how your team works, and on how you work.
But I know nobody who would be even close to 16h/day. That's just nonsense.

Also, the impression I got at Google is that when people work a lot, it's because they love their project or what they're doing, and not because they are forced to.
That must be wrong, or at least incredibly ineffective. To be effective, a person needs eight hours of sleep per day. Assuming a non-zero commute time, this is problematic. If the average is sixteen hours, that assumes some variation, so you can assume some percentage of days the people the people at Google would be performing pretty sub-par. (There was a study a while back showing the drop in productivity as soon as you drop below about seven hours is pretty dramatic.)

This is not even to mention that there is diminishing returns on effectiveness of hours if there is no "downtime." Some people claim the diminishing returns happen after nine hours, but I personally usually have excellent productivity in the morning, but my brain is toast by about 3 PM.
Re: Google (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
She meant working 16 hours and she spoke about many details provided by Google so that the employees have acess to the internet all the time (when travelling by bus, special coffee shop, etc).

I think that near a deadline, working 16h or more is usual, but she said on average.
Did she definitely mean "work" 16 hours rather than "spend 16 hours on campus"?
Possibly not the sort of statistic most companies mention on their recruitment material.

I have looked at the Goldman Sachs website and whilst they do not explicitly state *You will be expected to work long hours* there are many staff profiles which mention the exact times they enter leave the office.

Then again I doubt there are many better employers than Google/Goldman Sachs in their respective industries.
Re: Google (response to post by prunthaban) | Reply
Today a professor said that has visited the Google office at Mountain View. She told us about the excellent conditions provided by Google and then she said that the employees work about 16 hours per day on average.

Is this true? I don't remember any Google employee refering to this...

If there is any Google employee available to comment this, can you estimate the number of hours spent working per week?
Re: Google (response to post by sb99) | Reply

I think my unique name is a disadvantage to me :P
People can get all information about me just by Googling without asking me :)
Yes, I just figured that out from your recent blog. Congratulations !
Re: Google (response to post by sb99) | Reply
I think you are referring to my previous company :)
   a not so formal work place
I believe that the place where you work is more of a formal work place ?
Re: Google (response to post by gsais) | Reply
I too remember, the presentations even the one in which I was asleep 50% of the time, was really cool, how complicated can things get...
Re: Google (response to post by bugzpodder) | Reply
I visited Google's offices in Belo Horizonte (Brazil) for the CodeJam 2007, and there were some presentations about their projects (not only those they do there, some of the Googlers were from the US too), how they work, etc. I remember that I signed a NDA but I guess there's nothing wrong if I say the presentations I attended (some overlapped) were definitely about cool projects to work on (the fact that I still *clearly* remember the presentations is a good sign by itself). So maybe they don't assign the cool projects to internships or maybe your taste for cool projects is different than mine.
Re: Google (response to post by bugzpodder) | Reply
Wow! 5 Internships? What are the companies?

I tend to agree with gsais on most of the points. For me the first thing I value is the transparency and fun (a not so formal work place). Then comes peers who share my passion! There are people around me with whom I can start a conversation on the last SRM problem I solved, etc. It is cool.

For the interesting project part, I think only research projects can be more interesting to me than contest problems. But still I enjoy the work I do more than any other 'work' :)
[ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >