JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 ]
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by rrenaud) | Reply
Here's how my ethic judgement work in this particular case.

I personally believe that ethicality on quiting while in at-will employment, depends on how much the company is willing to accomodate you. The ethic is 2 ways street.

If the company expect me to never quit while in the middle of chasing the deadline that define the company future, I would expect them to never fire me while I need money the most (for example: to cure my dying daughter). If the company expect me to never quit suddenly after so much they have invest on me, I would expect them to never fire me suddenly while I'm undergoing an important life change that assume ongoing employment with them. In short, the minimal/worst limit of my behavior is: I will do unto them what they do unto me.

The problem is, we will probably never know how a company will treat us in different circumstances. Maybe we can see similar incidents with other employees in the past, but we will probably be treated differently for whatever reason, either be treated better or worse. At the end, you can choose to be nice and expect they return the gesture, but always prepare for the worst.
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by cep21) | Reply
Here is Joel Spolsky's advice on exploding offers (which isn't to say that you had accepted an exploding offer). I thought this would be interesting and relevant. Sorry to bring up a dead thread.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/11/26.html
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by rrenaud) | Reply
Interesting, I saw this earlier today. Do other people agree with him on this?
Thanks for the link. It gives people more tricks to deal with that problem.
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by cep21) | Reply
One of the so-called seven deadly career sins is letting a company manage your career. Others have similarly commented but it goes along the same lines of any decision you make in you life that when you look back on these from the position of time you tell yourself, "I should have..." or "I shouldn't have..."

Keep in mind that another at-will decision pertains to layoffs (WARN notices notwithstanding). I'm sure that many a CFO will look more emotionally at their balance sheet than at the people who are eliminated.

Just be sure you've done your homework when comparing offers; make the decision a great one.
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by deezny) | Reply
Sorry for the OT:
Funny, this guy did register for the sole purpose of making that single post and then having his account deleted? I mean, he is not click-able and the member search does not work on him either.
Re: Ethics: Turning down job offers when you've already agreed (response to post by supo) | Reply
Oh noes, there's a way to post anonymously in TC foruns then.

I'd suggest the admins to try to solve it, because it wouldn't be funny if these forums became something like 4chan.
By the way, very nice article!

I faced such difficult situation a month ago. I received an offer from a company X, but was waiting for company Y's answer on the interviews. I asked for two weeks to answer X's offer, but they just wanted to give me one week (I was afraid to tell them that I was waiting other offers though).
So when I arrived on my first day at X, Y called me with an offer just before I start signing all paperwork to actually start working at X.
It was a little weird, but I basically told X's HR that I had just received a better offer and politely apologized.
I think my key error was to not have told them that I was waiting for another offer, afraid that if I didn't get Y's offer, they would be pissed off about me.
I have done this before - and it has burned a bridge. However, I have never regretted it. I have had situations where I accepted a job - went through a rigorous background check, finally walked in the door months later only to find myself in a re-org. New boss, new team - one that was opposed to the very technology I was hired to work with in the first place.

You never know what's going to happen when you take a job, so I think your best bet is to look out for yourself first and foremost. Go with what you want and be open about it with the company you may have verbally accepted an offer with first.

You interview for more than one job - the company should accept the risk that an offer letter may be coming down the pipeline for you. You cannot always control the timing of the offers.

:edit: I should point out, that my reasons for accepting the other job was not related to money at all, it was the reputation of the organization and me wanting to be a part of that culture.
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 ]

RSS