JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
European cities to work | Reply
I would like to know in wich european cities it's easier (there is more demand) to get a job as a developer and the life cost it isn't very high. Better if you can speak in english, spanish or italian. Any recommendation is welcomed.
Re: European cities to work (response to post by amiune) | Reply
I think Dublin or London are good choices. Try this irish site to start:
http://www.computerjobs.ie
Re: European cities to work (response to post by petermac80) | Reply
Barcelona
Re: European cities to work (response to post by petermac80) | Reply
London is VERY expensive to live, and you may have to commute a LONG way to live somewhere you can afford. But there are a LOT of jobs and they can pay EXTREMELY well.

I was going to post a link to a UK recruitment site but I don't know if TC allow this, since they act as recruitment agents themselves?
Re: European cities to work (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
I suggest a votation: you can give 3 points to the city to work you prefer, and 1 point to the second.

Barcelona: 3
Dublin: 1
I work in London and I will confirm this.

I travel in from Essex (around 40 miles away) and my annual travel costs are around £2500 (~$5000 US)

Lunch (sandwiches plus drink) will cost you around £5 (~$10 US).

There are some very high payers around but browsing briefly through one recruitment site development jobs for candiates with 5+ years of experience pay around £50K to £80K exluding bonus.
Re: European cities to work (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
Interesting... could you share a few more things:

How do you get to work and how long does it take?
How much (approx) is your rent, or how much is your house worth?
Are bonuses substantial compared to salaries in London? In the north of England, bonuses in software firms are not common.
Of course if you don't want to give details that's understood!
Firstly a little background to give some perspective....

I am 35, married with one daughter and a baby on the way.

I own my house. I will not reveal how much it costs! To rent a house in my part of the world is around £800 a month. You are looking at to pay at least that to rent in (a probably not very nice part of) London.

My advice would be to live out of town and commute.

I graduated with a B.Sc(Hons) in Physics from the University of Manchester in 1997.

Until about one year ago I have worked on legacy systems mostly on VMS.

I am currently working with C++ on Windows Server 2003, I am also dabbling in Realtime Java on Solaris.

I spent 2.5 years working for Logica in the defence arena and nearly 7 years at my current employer who is a global supplier of financial data and news.

I travel to work by train and my journey door to door is around 55 minutes. When the trains go wrong (which does happen!) it can take hours and hours to get home.

My salary is towards the lower end of the figures quoted in earlier post. The reason for this is:

a: My core skills are faily niche however this is changing.
b: I have been happy where I am and not moved around.

There are lots of banks, hedge funds etc. etc. in London and they generally pay pretty well.

If you are looking to get into one without experience then you will generally need an excellent degree from an excellent university. Most people in the city (apart from maybe a few HR staff at TC sponsors such as UBS and Deutsche) will not have heard of TC so it is probably worth describing TCs activities a little on your CV (resume) if you are hoping your (say) Algo or Development rating will get you a foot in the door.

If your backround is in a mathematical subject you will be preferred over those whose isn't. If you have a Ph.D in a mathematical subject you are much sought after and quant developer roles pay significantly more than 'straight' development roles.

If you have a few years experience it is a different matter and your education is less important than your skillset.

If you do get an interview then you will be tested on the technologies you claim to have experience in and will probably also be tested on data structures, algorithms and runtime performance. You will also probably be asked a few logic problems. the rest will be the usual 'tell me about yourself', 'where do you see yourself in five years time' etc. etc.

Expect a couple of telephone interviews first and then two or more on site interviews of around half a day in duration.

Many (not all) firms pay bonuses however these are not guaranteed. In the city these tend to be substantial but not as substantial as those received by traders etc.

A few things you should consider before you consider working in the city.

1: The pay is good but employers want their pound of flesh.

2: Many banks run very lean and will trim the fat whenever the going gets tough in order to reduce costs. This means job cuts.

These are just ramblings I have typed up in my lunch break. If anyone has any questions, wants to add their experiences or thinks I am posting complete bolleaux please reply to this post.
Re: European cities to work (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
I wanted to know what salary a coder of my capability with no experience could expect in France. I am graduating this year. I have been offered a salary by Microsoft India which is 3-4 times the average salary of software engineers in India. I also have an offer from a French consultancy company; I don't know how much salary to ask for and I don't want to be hired for too less!
Could someone please post some figures about average salary and cost of living in France. Also how much salary approximately does a fresher in Microsoft France get?
Re: European cities to work (response to post by dhoni) | Reply
Have the French company made any suggestion of salary?

In the UK, a graduating CS student might get a job of perhaps £20K, which is about $40K or €27K. In some areas you might get more but it's not a bad first salary. Of course in France it might be different.
My starting salary was £20K straight out of university ten years ago working for a largish UK based consultancy.

For a first role I would consider the following (in order of priority).

1. What skills can I gain?
2. Will the employer look good on my CV/resume?
3. Money and benefits.

Your first role is critical because to some extent it will define your next role.

In my first role I was offered an additional £20k per annum (Making £40k in total) to work as a VMS / Ada developer. I took the money but it meant that I had a niche skillset. When it came to look for a new position a lot of doors were closed to me and have worked largely on legacy systems ever since.

It is only over the last 18 months that I have managed to break away from my legacy background and into more mainstream development.
Re: European cities to work (response to post by dhoni) | Reply
Do you say MicroSoft is offering 3-4 times average salary? I think the average salaries are not that less or Microsoft salary should be more than what I heard. ;)
Re: European cities to work (response to post by prunthaban) | Reply
I think what he meant was 3-4 times the average salary a fresher gets in India. You must be knowing how less the Indian IT comapnies pay to the freshers :(
Re: European cities to work (response to post by prunthaban) | Reply
Microsoft pays very well in campus placements, leaving that fact aside, the average pay of freshers in Indian IT companies comes to Rupees 2 to 2.5 Lakhs per annum so it doesn't come as a surprise to me if MS pays Rupees 8-10 Lakhs per annum.
Have the French company made any suggestion of salary?

I believe it is illegal to disclose the amount that a company is offering. So I won't put exact figures. The initial salary quoted in terms of CTC(cost to company) is bit more than what you said, and after 6 months they have promised to make it a little more than double the amount that you said. Actually I have not even been interviewed yet! Before starting the interview process, I want to know if it makes sense to go for it. If the above amount is ok with french market, then I can always negotiate :) But if it is too low, then there is no point. They are probably just doing body shopping!
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS