JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Choice of omitting OR writing unverifiable employment | Reply
Consider if you suffer this kind of problem.

The local office of a company contracting him, cannot formally verified his work experience. I suspect this is caused by the chance that his employment can be used as a circumstancial evidence that the local office break some of its head office rules. The best that he can do is to have his supervisor (who is oficially working in this company) confirm the existence of his contract, or showing his paper contract if requested, or showing the documentation and revealing insider information of this project. Unfortunately, the last option is unethical and a serious violation of law. All of these options also requires an initiative from the company he applied to, to clarify his claim.

The circumstances concerning his work experience, which is a good indicator of the quality of his experience, won't be admitted by his supervisor since the experience hints serious local office violation of head office regulation. The customer of this particular project won't possibly verified this project because it's too scandalous.

In summary, his work experience is unverifiable. He will be considered liar if he mentions it.

Now, given all these problems, he'd rather omit this experience. But a quick google show that in some countries resume omission is considered lying.

A better way is probably to explain the circumstances of this experience. But concise explanation in resume is difficult. In addition, such explanation in a resume might immediately make him unqualified due to complication processing such application. And the third problem is such explanation will be considered outrageous given the credibility of this company in developed countries.

The best solution I found is to downplay this experience. But there is a reasonable chance that his experience might make regulators deem him uneligible to work in a certain field and location. In the future, he might need to refuse this certain responsibilities without able to explain to his new company why he refuse to take it. A possible fix is by not working in that particular field anymore, but is there a better solution?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Re: Choice of omitting OR writing unverifiable employment (response to post by amitz.sekali) | Reply
Oops,

I just realized I have similar problem.

I applied to a B-school. They accepted me and I studied there for about 1 matriculation period and 1 trimester(?). But it turns out that I fail to satisfy a supposedly routine administrative requirement, which is a proof of an equivalent bachelor degree. I have a bachelor degree in another country but my particular case (the equivalence is decided case by case) of bachelor degree is not considered equivalent to a bachelor degree in this country (due to credit coursework of less than 135 if I remember it right).

The problem is that I'm not supposed to be admitted to this B-school by government law in the first place, due to lack of approved equivalent bachelor degree. If my prospective employer check my enrollment to this school, there is no certainty whether I will be considered ex-student or never-a-student. They are in an ambivalent stance since admitting my enrollment indicates probable violation of government regulation.

The question is, should I write going to this B-school as part of my education history. Depending on who you asked or what you asked, they may or may not answer truthfully. If I omit this history instead, I may be considered lying.

There is a further complication if I decide to mention about this problem in my resume. I'm sorry if I imply that US companies are country-centric, but I don't think many US employers will believe that bachelor degree from a reasonably famous US university can fail bachelor equivalence test in another country. I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

Suggestions please?
Re: Choice of omitting OR writing unverifiable employment (response to post by amitz.sekali) | Reply
My, what difficult questions you have.
Since you can lose both ways, I would just be honest and cross my fingers. What is the possibility that they will do a background check before an interview, where you could explain the situation before they found out for themselves?
Re: Choice of omitting OR writing unverifiable employment (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
I forgot to consider that, thx to mention it.
Is it common to do background check before interview? Or usually only after interview? How about background check of employee candidate from another country? Before or after?
My company does do background and reference checks for all employees. We will not make an offer without receiving positive feedback about someone. For an international person like yourself, I recommend that you use people that can communicate in English. Email is an acceptable form for reference checks.
RSS