JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]
Re: admission to MS (response to post by Minilek) | Reply
Most research departments don't allow you to do research with only a B.S., do they? Or do you have to have higher than average criteria....?
From a crappy school with an average GPA, there's not too much you can do?
:P
Re: admission to MS (response to post by the_perk) | Reply
Are you still a student? If so, ask your professors. Also, theoretically you don't need much to get started. Luckily for us CS people, we don't need any expensive equipment to do research (for many research areas).
Actually, I interviewed with Amazon and they offered me a position on their Optimization Team. I dropped out of the graduate program at my school because the concentration wasn't on algorithms and complexity theory. So currently, I'm trying to transfer somewhere, but am employed by hp. Maybe you can help me out with some options? :P
Even if you're not employed with a research group, being at a place where there are people around you doing research could be good. You said you're interested in theory; I think there are some theory researchers at Amazon.com...specifically, I know this guy at least used to be there (he's not there now), in perhaps the group you're talking about. So, there might be other theory researchers still there...I don't really know. Anyway, for any given company you're considering going to, try to find people (preferrably not your interviewers and definitely not HR) who work(ed) there to get the real scoop.
I really appreciate your advice, Minilek.
I know I don't have quite the expertise as MIT Ph.D alums, but I would like to go somewhere (even if not academia) to study algorithms. I just felt the Optimization Team for Amazon.com wasn't for me. But maybe I made a wrong choice.
I'm currently interviewing with Microsoft, but definitely not for their research group. I would really like to work in algorithms related field(s), but I just don't know how to dive into a group. When I was doing my Masters', everyone was older, so I couldn't study with others.. maybe that's the main problem? Even at my job currently, everyone is at least twenty years older... (maybe I'm just giving bad excuses)

Either way, I don't look good on paper, at all. Maybe I should just stick to my job (which is unrelated to my interests), or just look for some company that has a research group, and then possibly transfer after working there a short time?

What do you think I should do?
What do you think I should do?

That's a really deep personal question, and I think only you can answer it. : )
is there a way you can refer me to your friend? :P
im gonna keep my options open..
Which friend? If you're talking about the guy I linked to, I don't really know him. I just know of his existence. Also, a compelling referral can't really come from someone who hardly knows you. :)
<< PREV    [ 1 2 ]

RSS