JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Poor Article | Reply
Sorry but the article is, in my opinion, very poor, like your all articles (usaco etc.) , adjusted to your knowledge level but you should now that there are not that intelligent people around
There could be codes, details of algorithms which is hard to find, but there is only introduction to algorithms which is easy to find
For example the "Line segment intersections" problem should have included at least a routine to show the flow of algorithm
I heard kolistivra also complaining about it, i dont think im the only one
Re: Poor Article (response to post by KaanSoral) | Reply
TopCoder has a wide range of member base and single algorithm tutorial addressing all of them is difficult.
If you/someone else comes out with an easier version of this article, I am sure TC will definitely publish it.
I'm sorry to hear you don't like my articles - as has been pointed out, it's pretty much impossible to write an article that is pitched to every competitor.

I generally try to avoid describing algorithms in fine detail because that's missing the point. The point of this article wasn't to tell you how to count the number of intersections of lines - if you need that, you're better off with a textbook, but you're unlikely to see a TC problem that says "here are a bunch of lines, count how many intersections there are". The point is to make people aware that line sweep algorithms exist and can be used for lots of cool things, and if they put in some to figure out the details for themselves they'll have a better chance of being able to apply the idea to new problems.
I heard kolistivra also complaining about it, i dont think im the only one
I'm sure not everyone will like it, but I'm not sure you can count on kolistrivra's support: in another thread he says
Great article! I wish you write more articles like this =)
Re: Poor Article (response to post by bmerry) | Reply
Explaining each application can lose the point of the explanation, but I think you could at least add some links about the articles you used as base for the tutorial, with a more detailed presentation of the algorithms.

I was reading about the Manhattan MST, and it was pretty tough to understand the details you were talking about. So I found an article explaining the algorithm.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=913303&tag=1
I think sample codes and further explanations are good in a 'directed' article, as the article isn't only focused in one simple algorithm or case, it's becomes uninteresting, but, a simple pseudo-code would be welcome, like the Article about Graphs in the Tutorials section, every body knows the wide-range applications to an Depth-First-Search, but only the pseudo-code shown there is enough to help who's reading the article, I think the 'whole' code, wouldn't be 'healthy' in this case to, anyways, Congrats to [h]bmerry[h] for the good tutorial.
I think sample codes and further explanations are good in a 'directed' article, as the article isn't only focused in one simple algorithm or case, it's becomes uninteresting, but, a simple pseudo-code would be welcome, like the Article about Graphs in the Tutorials section, every body knows the wide-range applications to an Depth-First-Search, but only the pseudo-code shown there is enough to help who's reading the article, I think the 'whole' code, wouldn't be 'healthy' in this case to, anyways, Congrats to bmerry for the good tutorial.
Re: Poor Article (response to post by bmerry) | Reply
I think it was not suppose to be a just another news article but an algorithm tutorial. And you start very generously by carefully describing euclidean distance and manhattan distance using whole three lines text. But then you suddenly change the level of your target audience from "they don't know what euclidean distance is" to "they already know how to implement line sweep algo" so lets just briefly show them some very cool use of that algo!

But I in my opinion most of the people who will open this tutorial will open it with the hope of actually learn the algo not just to see some example use. So I want to humbly request you to extend/rewrite this tutorial so that it can live up to the algorithm tutorial standard of topcoder, just some random examples of very good tutorial: Maximum Flow by _efer_, RMQ by danielp etc.
Re: Article (response to post by samsonedric) | Reply
You are commenting on an article that is five years old. It is unlikely that the people originally involved have much interest in it now. On the other hand, if anyone thinks they can do a better job at any of the TopCoder tutorials, they are always free to try.
RSS