JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Videos are choppy for a broadband connection | Reply
I use a somewhat decent broadband (relative to my country). I'm just wondering if TopCoder videos do not use buffering like how it's done for most videos on YouTube. For most YouTube videos, I could pause the video for a while, wait for a substantial amount of video downloaded, and then resume playing it. This to avoid a choppy viewing experience. I really hope to have smoother watching experience with TopCoder videos.
Re: Videos are choppy for a broadband connection (response to post by invader_eki) | Reply
I wonder if there's some easy way to download these videos (and upload them to youtube after that). Would it be legal, by the way?
Re: Videos are choppy for a broadband connection (response to post by invader_eki) | Reply
Yup, I wanted to start the same thread as this. Why don't TC use buffering for videos??? http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=SurveyResults&sid=10765 129 people aren't too less to do that for... Especially when 129 --- are only the ones who voted...
Re: Videos are choppy for a broadband connection (response to post by Lol) | Reply
The live webcast is a different story, how can be any buffering for the live webcast? I think an acceptable buffering (if any) is about 2-5 seconds. However, for a low bandwidth, this buffering will not help as the movie goes for more than an hour.
Re: Videos are choppy for a broadband connection (response to post by mohamedafattah) | Reply
Of course we should not expect the live webcast to be acceptably buffered. But now that the video is archived already, maybe there could be a way to watch it as smoothly as we can watch videos from YouTube. In my experience, I have been able to watch lengthy movies from YouTube with buffering, on low bandwidth. If this could not be possible on most cases, TopCoder could split the movie into smaller parts.
I'm trying something out with the Flash video. By default, the buffer time is set to .1 seconds, which it seems starts the video up right away if you have the speed for it. I changed it to 15 seconds, so that the video won't start playing until you've received the first 15 seconds and I'd like to see if it helps with the choppiness some people have reported.

Keep in mind, this was a change to the .swf that loads the video content, not the content itself, so you may have clear your browser cache to get the new file.

Let me know if you notice any difference.
RSS