JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Getting into the game industry | Reply
I've learned a lot about the IT business by now. I've been interviewed by companies, talked to people, etc. But I've never really made contact with people from the game industry. And I'd really would like to know more about it. It seems that the process of getting into the game industry is different from what I've seen till now and have been part of.

Take Topcoder as an example. It gets a lot of attention from companies like Bloomberg, UBS, which lie in the corporate/enterprise sector (or whatever it's called), Google, which makes everthing but games, and others which also don't have a lot to do with games. And it seems that it should be the opposite. Algorithm matches attract a lot of great coders who know C++, algorithms, are good at optimising code, etc.

Why don't the game companies come out to talented students, a lot of whom can be found on Topcoder, ICPC, and other competitions? What are they looking for? On many sites you can read "sorry, no internships"! The only company that I found (and that I've heard of before) that offers internships is EA and it doesn't offer them to "international students" (which means students that live outside US).

I'm writing this because I'd really like someone who knows something about that business or worked on games to share their experience, explain how gaming is different from the rest of the IT, etc. And maybe write a few hints on how to get there :). I would be very greatful.
Subject Author Date
Getting into the game industry rusolis May 29, 2007 at 5:46 PM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry dskloet May 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry Chikov2 May 30, 2007 at 1:51 AM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry d000hg May 30, 2007 at 5:36 AM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry Minilek May 30, 2007 at 9:04 AM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry d000hg May 30, 2007 at 9:28 AM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry rusolis May 30, 2007 at 12:41 PM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry d000hg May 31, 2007 at 5:07 AM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry rusolis May 31, 2007 at 2:22 PM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry d000hg May 31, 2007 at 5:14 PM EDT
Re: Getting into the game industry dttri May 31, 2007 at 8:40 PM EDT