JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 ]
Re: Experiences with hiring... (response to post by DRW_Lyle) | Reply
I'm sorry but your description of interview seems like you should be manipulative and strategic during an interview. I guess DRW is looking for mature candidates and not the energetic ones.
Re: Experiences with hiring... (response to post by codager) | Reply
I don't think he's suggesting that at all. In an interview you only get one chance to make a good impression. You could be the smartest person in the world, but if you are sending signals that make the interviewer think that you would be difficult or unpleasant to work with in any way, you might not get the job. I think he is merely suggesting that you be conscious of the image you are projecting, and that there are things you can do to help prevent those negative impressions from forming in the interviewer's mind.
Re: Experiences with hiring... (response to post by codager) | Reply
I'm sorry but your description of interview seems like you should be manipulative and strategic during an interview. I guess DRW is looking for mature candidates and not the energetic ones.

Not at all! This year we picked up 5 college grads and 4 college interns. Most of our programmers are in their twenties or early thirties.

Look at it this way: you are interviewing with a firm that requires that you wear a jacket and tie to the interview. Is it manipulative or dishonest to comply with their request, even though you think suits are lame? (DRW doesn't require a suit for interview, btw.) Let's say a candidate's natural instinct in the interview is to kick his feet up on the table, put his arms behind your head, mumble, and avoid eye contact. Is it dishonest, strategic, or manipulative for the candidate to try to curb his natural instinct?

Like lots of other things in life, interviews are just another game, with a unique set of rules. The guidelines I gave are common-sense interviewing tips that you'll find in just about any guide to interviewing. I'm not suggesting that you be dishonest or manipulative -- just that you pay attention to your body language.

As has been oft-quoted, you won't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Lyle Hayhurst
Chief Technology Officer
DRW Trading, LLC
Re: Experiences with hiring... (response to post by dskloet) | Reply
I still think it's more honest just to start thinking out loud. You want to know the way people think, right? I remember an interview question about the number of possible ways to do something. I immediately said: "I would guess it's the nth Fibonacci number. But let me think whether that's right." Do you think I should have skipped that part of my answer?

Your reply seems pretty reasonable. Thinking out loud is a good way to give the interviewer a window into your problem solving style. But I don't think it is about honesty -- pausing 1500 milliseconds before saying "I would guess it's the nth Fibonacci number" is no less dishonest then blurting out the reply immediately.

You take the second or two pause to mentally formulate your response, not to con the interviewer into thinking you are solving the problem.

Another way of looking at it: if a interviewer gives you a problem you already know the answer to, the best tactic is to tell them that you've seen that problem and that you know that answer. Odds are you'll win points from the interviewer for being straight up with him. Pausing and acting like you've never seen the problem before is dishonest and unethical.

Lyle Hayhurst
Chief Technology Officer
DRW Trading, LLC
Re: Experiences with hiring... (response to post by DRW_Lyle) | Reply
Seems like I misunderstood what you wanted to convey in your earlier post.
I agree with you on this one :).
Re: Experiences with hiring... (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
I thought UK courses didn't want to teach you programmoing languages, but theoretical stuff, so you came out still unable to program!?
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 ]

RSS