JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]    NEXT >
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by cep21) | Reply
I've looked at the picture of the award ceremony. It seems that SPbU IFMO team holds both the fourth place and third place plaques. Anybody willing to share the account of what happened there? Do they actually count to the seconds as well?

It is rather curious that WarsawU receive the trophy and the plaque before TsinghuaU got theirs. Is it common practice in the world finals?
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by NeverMore) | Reply
From the photographs and the summary, it seems that WarsawU solved all but H and J.
No body solved problems H and J. Only one team even submitted H (Tsinghua), and there were *lots* of failed submissions for J...probably by teams who thought it was simply min-cut. None of the top 7 or so teams even tried to submit J.

EDIT: *learns to read through thread before responding to a question*
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by ilham) | Reply
>> Do they actually count to the seconds as well?

No. Should two teams solve the same number of problems and have the same time penalty, they break the tie by who submitted the most recent accepted solution the earliest.
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by Minilek) | Reply
Are you affraid of taking pictures?
I couldn't see you in any of the two GCJLA albuns I saw, nor in the ICPC albuns
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by Malkava) | Reply
I was about to go look for his picture in ICPC digital library just before stumbling upon this post, I guess you saved me some time :-)
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by Krzysan) | Reply
By the way, that digital library (ICPC) is a nice example of wrong use of AJAX features. A usual library like the previous years is much more fast and easy to handle.
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by Petr) | Reply
I did not know filipek registered in TC long back. He even has a member photo! Looks like he is not interested in TC contests :(
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by prunthaban) | Reply
So I submitted a couple problems to the world finals, and both got rejected. At the time, I was a little disappointed. After seeing the problems they chose instead, I almost feel insulted. My gosh - I hate this problem set.

I also heard they had an error in a test input... again. Go ACM.
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by vexorian) | Reply
Some are also there as couches.

I don't think anybody deserves that insult ;-)
Re: ICPC 2007 results??? (response to post by dgarthur) | Reply
Why do you hate the problem set?
Well, I do actually quite like A and J. I heard the invalid input was on J, which is a bummer, because I think that was by far the best problem on the set.

My main complaints are (a) lack of variety, and (b) lack of problems requiring any kind of original insight. The lack of variety is obvious - FOUR geometry problems, and then B and G. If you replaced geometry with graph theory or DP or something, maybe that would be ok. But 4 problems where your biggest concerns have to do with questions like, "do these lines intersect"? Blech. The lack of insight is more subjective, but I think its perhaps even more obvious.

- The hardest problem should be the one requiring the most insight. Yet for H, all you want to do is understand overlapping triangles. I have seen an algorithm in at least two different courses that solves this problem directly. Its just a pain to implement.

- Problem E is basically shortest path on the plane with a polygon removed. This has been asked on an ACM before.

- Problem D is basically, "Do you know Pick's theorem?"

- Problems F and G? Hello, complete search.

I haven't really looked at problem I yet because I'm not a fan of physics in contests, but of the remaining problems (other than J), its hard to classify a single one of them as requiring serious original insight. For the ACM world finals, that is poor.
I heard SnapDragon wrote problem J. I guess it's no wonder you found it the best of the lot.

I just wish he also wrote an "editorial" for the problem, especially given no-one solved it. ;-)

EDIT: btw, I too heard (thanks Abednego) that the invalid input was on J.
Maybe SnapDragon can come and comment himself. In the meantime, here's the algorithm I came up with.

Initialize X_i = mincut(i, 0) for all i.
while (the graph is non-empty) {
  Let x denote the smallest value of X_i.
  Remove all vertices i with X_i <= x.
  For each remaining vertex, set X_i = min(X_i, x + mincut(i, 0)) 
}
return X_1

I am pretty sure I have a valid proof, but it is messy =P.
Do you think this would work: Remove unreachable nodes and for all nodes i assign mincut(i,0) as the node capacity and run maxflow(1,0)?
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]    NEXT >

RSS