JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by rrenaud) | Reply
I work on an FX transactions platform and the quantity of trades executed by algorithmic trading engines is rising at an incredible rate.

Large financial organizations realize that investment in technology and technologists is of critical importance to their business, not an expense.
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
Like most commercial developers I keep an eye on the job market from what I can see (in the City of London at least) most organizations recruiting 'quants' are looking for a Ph.D. in Mathematics, Physics or similar as a minimum requirement.
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by kyky) | Reply
I don't think Zorba worked for a financial company, but that's my guess.
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by bugzpodder) | Reply
A [finance] internship will make you rich?
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by dskloet) | Reply
Rich in caffeine, probably. From all those coffee runs..
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by Larry) | Reply
Of course not - he worked for a gaming company and for Google. I remember him being placed through TC before he graduated, but I am not sure if he's the only one who was placed before getting his degree.
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
When I graduated (from Durham) a lot of recruiters wanted me to interview with investment banking firms. I didn't want to go to London but I'm now doing that kind of stuff in Newcastle. I reckon I could have had a good chance of a very lucrative career in London, with "only" my honours degree in maths+physics.
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by dskloet) | Reply
I thought I might open a can of worms here =) No he implied full-time. He was a very smooth talker and he definitely sold me. I think I will go for a finance option for this intern (but not with that company) , meaning that I will reject my Google offer :P
I've never heard a put-down pitch, but then I was never pitting one interviewer against another - I'd consider that "not cricket" so to speak. Maybe that's been detrimental to my pocket book... but still.

If I heard one, I'd be put off, for sure.

I think a company has to sell themselves, just as the prospect does. If they can't deliver, no amount of put downs will help. If they CAN deliver, why would they need to put others down?

I personally feel that it has to be a good match. My current position seems like a near perfect one (thanks TC) - and none of my interviewers would have considered put downs as ethical or moral, I'm sure.

These days, I'd seriously consider asking why they feel the need to bad-mouth the most excellent opportunities on the market. Of course, it might merely be the personality of the interviewer.

On a slight diversion: Google would look really good on the resume or CV. Some companies have a serious weight on the resume - and the best companies look for that kind of thing... finance is not impossible to break into. Thankfully.
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by tolkienfan) | Reply
Google competes for the exact same candidates as MS and Amazon. The fact that other companies sees ex-Googlers to be better candidates for a position just shows how it is over-rated. Personally I have little desire to use Google as a stepping stone if the rest of my Resume fail to impress the company.
I had not heard that Google had more weight on a resume than MS or Amazon.

My point was that some companies have a very hard interview process, and that merely by getting through it you have demonstrated something companies definitely look for.

I don't think I implied that you shouldn't consider MS or Amazon...

Also, why do you think the rest of your resume will fail to impress?
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by tolkienfan) | Reply
I'd never have thought of Amazon as a big-league programming employer. What do they do to require top-notch coders?
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
They keep sending resume books ads to me for years after I already had bought one ;-) Stupid related book matching algorithms.
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
Heh, I think my boss also interviewed with Amazon coming out of college. The impression I get is that he didn't really know what Amazon.com was, and so got the impression that they were "a little uptight for a website" :-)
Re: interesting put down pitches (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
Judging by the [-] I'm getting I don't know what they do either. I don't see how Amazon.com is any different than loads of other websites. They must do some things unrelated to their main site?
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >

RSS