JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Employment opportunities with TCO sponsors | Reply
In case anyone was wondering, the title sponsor of this year's TCO, AOL, and the premier sponsors, UBS, NSA, and DRW Trading, are looking for TopCoder members to join them. These companies all have very good opportunities available, and they are all working on very challenging problems that any of our members will find very interesting. If you would like more information about these companies, please visit http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=tournaments&d2=tco07&d3=about These companies offer some of the best opportunites in their respective industries for developers who have a passion for software design, development, and problem solving.
Re: Employment opportunities with TCO sponsors (response to post by kclune) | Reply
It would be useful to know what sort of opportunities are available and the screening criteria employers instruct TopCoder to apply....

Are the sponsors only passed the details of TC members who perform well in the sponsored competition or have an algorithm rating above a certain threshold value?

If so they may be missing out on coders who have years of experience working for similar companies in the same industry.
Re: Employment opportunities with TCO sponsors (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
Are the sponsors only passed the details of TC members who perform well in the sponsored competition or have an algorithm rating above a certain threshold value?

Generally speaking, no, there is no algorithm (or other TC competition) rating threshold. TopCoder recruiters do a preliminary screen of candidates who are interested and pass on the candidates who meet the basic client requirements.
Re: Employment opportunities with TCO sponsors (response to post by mbnd96) | Reply
Surely then this thread should have started with something along the lines of 'TopCoder have been instructed by companies X, Y and Z to look for coders who meet the following criteria...'

I'm sure most people who compete on TC do so because they have a passion for problem solving and software development and design.

If the employers basic requirements were made available to the TC community it may save the TC recruiters a lot of work because it would probably result in less applications. For instance, are employers recruiting university graduates for entry level positions or are they looking for candidates with commercial experience in their specific industry?

I believe publishing employers requirements would also have the side effect of providing TC members (especially those still at college/university) with a general idea of the type of positions employers are recruiting for and the prerequisite technical skills and experience.

Cheers.
Re: Employment opportunities with TCO sponsors (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
Well, I perceive that the major difference between recruiting via TopCoder and usual recruiting is that companies come here to find talent, not experience. So you can just formulate basic requirement as "TopCoder active member".
Re: Employment opportunities with TCO sponsors (response to post by Petr) | Reply
I can't speak for other companies, but Petr said it perfectly. We are coming for talent. We'll teach you the rest.

Having said that, we aren't just looking for people with top algorithmic scores. The types of problems DRW has to solve on a daily basis reach well beyond just algorithm design.

For example, UI design is probably more important in trading systems then almost any other system out there.

Chris Zuehlke
DRW Trading Group
Algorithmic Trading Group
RSS