JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Summerjobs | Reply
Hi!
I am interested in getting a summerjob that has something to do with programming but not just boring database programming. And better if it has something to do with algorithmics. I was interested in a position in the UK, but it could be in Germany, Spain or elsewhere. Has anyone heard of something like that? Any experiences?

Right now I'm on 2nd year of university, so some companies don't want to take me because their internship programs are thought for being done in the last year of university (just to hire them after they are finished).
Re: Summerjobs (response to post by tywok) | Reply
Well I don't know how easy it is to get a summer job in another country, or doing something specific like algorithmics.
My advice is to visit your university careers office. They're geared towards finding you a job when you graduate, but if they keep a file on companies which do software development you might consider writing to those companies with a CV and a good cover letter which shows your passion. That's what I'd do - perhaps there is another way to find companies but as a summer job ANY programming job is going to be cool. Perhaps you could just find all such companies close to where you live and apply to them.
Re: Summerjobs (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
tywok:
I was interested in a position in the UK, but it could be in Germany, Spain or elsewhere.
d000hg:
Perhaps you could just find all such companies close to where you live and apply to them.
Somehow, that doesn't seem quite right to me ;).
Re: Summerjobs (response to post by aussie) | Reply
Curse you and your sense of humour! But anyway I notice he's from Spain - I really think it would be very hard to get a UK company to take you on for just a few weeks with all the paperwork there's bound to be. It's not like he's at a UK university either.
Being an EU citizen makes things easier. I am allowed to work in every EU country :-) (UK is in the EU although they don't have the euro). The paperwork should be minimal.
I don't know, what about paying you to a non-UK bank account? I've no real idea but also why would a company hire from abroad - only if they can't get what they need at home. And there are extra difficulties with interviewing. Anyway - it's a summer job. Not worth the employer making any big effort in most cases.
I twice worked abroad (Japan + Israel) and never found it to be hard. And, the one time I worked in the US, I had co-workers who were citizens of Moldova, India, Bulgaria, Poland, etc. I don't think what you're saying about companies not wanting to hire from abroad is true. Many companies will hire whoever they consider to be the best candidate with no regard for citizenship, provided the visa application goes through. Plus, it will only be easier for tywok because of the EU reason he mentioned.
Re: Summerjobs (response to post by Minilek) | Reply
I think it also depends on the actual companies he prefers to work at. If its a big one, its easy for them to invite him to an interview or a telephonic interview etc.. If its a smaller one, they may not probably be interested in foreigners for various reasons.
Why not ask around at the various departments at your university?

They probably wouldn't pay too much but I bet the work would be more interesting than 95% of the development that goes on in industry.
Re: Summerjobs (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
Not a bad idea. I remember departments in the science fields doing this when I was at university.
You could apply for an internship at Google. It looks like they have some positions in London.
http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=53681

If you are interested in academia then you might also have a look at this:
http://www.odcsss.ie/
RSS