JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Re: job question (response to post by rgrig) | Reply
thanks for your replys!!! it really helps me!!!
I would get more information about researching in different areas.
I hope to continue getting msgs..
I really appreciate your help!!! thanks again
Re: job question (response to post by midrux) | Reply
does someone knows differences between research for industry and academic research?

http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2006/08/working_in_industry_vs_working_1.php
The great thing about computer science is that you can learn a lot simply through the internet. If you're thinking of working in hard-core algorithm stuff, they're going to want to hire people who know the fundamentals of algorithms. I don't know what you know already but graphs and searching are two hugely important fields - BFS/DFS/A*/etc - because so many things can be modelled with them. Like maps, or neural networks, as two obvious examples. Also, probability and statistics are pretty important.

Someone with a better education in CS can elaborate on all this...
Re: job question (response to post by eleusive) | Reply
thanks for the replys...
I think that now research is a big posibility...
does someone knows differences between research for industry and academic research?
and how easy/difficult is to get a job for research??
(I have particular interest in making research in USA)
thanks again
Re: job question (response to post by Minilek) | Reply
great to know ...I was wrong
Many areas of research apply algorithms and graph theory. For example, operating systems (process and resource scheduling algorithms, parallel processing algorithms, etc), machine learning (neural networks, decision trees, etc), and of course theoretical computer science to name but a few.
>> I am not sure but I think it's very different to apply knowledge of advanced algorithms techniques like dynamic programming or graph theory..

Not if your area research is algorithms, or graph theory.
Re: job question (response to post by Minilek) | Reply
I really don't know how the research works...I mean, probably in the research field people just work with one difficult problem for a lot of time, and very probably it works with aproximation algorithms (heuristics)-
I am not sure but I think it's very different to apply knowledge of advanced algorithms techniques like dynamic programming or graph theory..
But I think is a posibility..I will get more info about it..
thanks!
>> I would like to know if it exists jobs where you have to do this, solve algorithmic problems, just this.

How about research? (industrial or in academia)
job question | Reply
Hi! (english is not my native language so if something sounds strange, please let me know)
I am not an expert in solving algorithmic problems but I really like to do it.
I would like to know if it exists jobs where you have to do this, solve algorithmic problems, just this.
I am really confused about the kind of job I must search.
I haven't seen jobs where you have to solve algorithmic problems (except for some people who works for sites like topcoder, but there are not a lot of people doing this).
It seems like in the real-life jobs it is common to do another things similar to the development or design contests.
I am not sure about what to do...
Maybe the best (and probably unique) option is to start doing another things like practice design and development of software or something like this, I mean..something different than solving algorithmic problems
Maybe I am wrong...
I know that are really experts in solving algorithmic problems here and it would be very useful to me to know about the jobs of this people, if it is related to algorithms or not.
I would really appreciate any opinion about this of anyone..
thanks for reading!
RSS