JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Computer or computational science | Reply
I'm graduating from high school this year and I'm thinking about my future plans now. I see that most of the universities have computer science and computational science majors(or something like that). I think I know what are the differences. The computational science include more applied mathematics. But I wonder what are the career opportunities when finnishing computational science?
Re: Computer or computational science (response to post by Nedy88) | Reply
grad school.

I've never heard of it, but I would make sure that the program is accredited. I know my school offers Computer Science (accredited) and another version that is not accredited.
Which country are you looking to study in? in the UK I think it's common even for good universities not to be accredited - you don't come out as a registered software engineer (if that's what is meant by acredited here).

Most likely, it depends a lot more where you study than which of those courses you take. I majored in physics with a tiny amount of CS - just enough to get it listed in my degree title - but have had no problem getting job offers. Lots of the stuff you're taught is not "how to program" and often you may never use it after you enter work - so I'd try to avoid thinking "what jobs will each course prepare me for".
Re: Computer or computational science (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
I can't speak positively about other countries. But here in the states, there is no such thing as a software engineer. The title software engineer does not refer to an actual engineer and (in some states) could even be prosecuted as illegal.
Re: Computer or computational science (response to post by tster123) | Reply
So what do you mean by accredited then? Accredited by who?
Re: Computer or computational science (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
http://www.usastudyguide.com/accreditation.htm
Actually my question was only what are the career opportunities for applied mathematicians. I didn't mean anything about accreditation.

About the country... My aim is to study in the states.
> Actually my question was only what are the career opportunities for
> applied mathematicians.

Finance, academia, the software industry, the government (CIA/NSA if a US citizen), operations research. Those are the big ones I've noticed anyway.
RSS