JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >
What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise | Reply
I study at Computer Engineering. This is my second year. I met some graduates, they said that "you will not use what you have learned at school". oopps . Why I am going to school, just for a piece of paper?What do you about that?

What is the importance of GPA, there are some courses which I have to take, but I don't like, such as electric circuits. I have not decide what I will do after my graduate.I can see two options.
1-)find a job and work
2-)continue to academic career

For both of them, which skills of mine, I should improve, I am sure there are a lot of people who are working for a company or doing master science.For example in order to accepted from a good university in Usa what do you I need(GPA, something else)? Or a good job with long holidays and big checks :)
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by metdos) | Reply
University first teaches you how to learn, one way or another. Then you take classes full of material, most of which you will forget (although it's easier to learn the second time) and not need in the "real world" anyway. But... I have problems with ultra-focused curricula; at that point, you might as well just go to a vocational school or something. University is and should be more generalized.

Yes, there will always be classes you don't like, that's just the way things go. But, for the most part, it's not as if the topics taught aren't useful or interesting. Sure, it may not be directly relevant to whatever you're going to go into, but I feel like you shouldn't be able to consider yourself educated unless you have familiarity with a lot of things, so you really should give the classes a chance.

(I said to myself three years ago, "Oh no, electrical engineering! I hate it and will stay as far away as possible!" As it turns out, that was a complete lie. I'm still not any good at it, but it is growing on me.)

The way I see it, university is four years in which to learn as much as you can. For me, this actually means branching out into a bunch of different fields. Too bad I didn't realize this earlier on.
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by antimatter) | Reply
Also, you'll have an easy opportunity to meet people who might be your friends for a very long time! =)
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by Larry) | Reply
>> ....who might be your friends for a very long time! =)

I feel it is friends for life time ? :)
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by metdos) | Reply
Benefit of undergraduate degree is a job. Pretty big benefit there :)

Do you mean graduate school?

Do graduate school only do it if you're sure you want to. If a job is your end goal and you're really not that interested in graduate school then don't do it.

I'm in graduate school AND a job is my end goal, but that's because I really like doing what I do, so if I like it then why not do it? If I didn't like it, I wouldn't.

Importance of GPA? It shows dedication, but don't stress over it too much. Anything 3.5+ looks fine.
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by cep21) | Reply
I'd say a 3.0 is enough at a reasonably reputable University to at least not be harmful. Being in industry now, I'd say that the kind of dedication a good GPA shows is the character to do things that need to be done even if they aren't particularly interesting (because as much as there are interesting things to do in industry, sometimes you have to get things done that aren't as "fun").
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
GPA is meaningless. While I was school my math teacher always set me scores like 4 from 5 and in one year I even had 3 out of 5 in one semester. It was really strange - as during same semester I was 2nd level diploma winner at National Math Contest and I think was absolute 1st (or 2nd - never placed less then 2-nd) at Regional Contest.

Is not that strange that winner in math contests unable to get perfect score in class-room ? Probably it was boring for me to do routine tasks and sometimes I did mistakes in calculations (BTW, once I did two mistakes in solution to one problem - and those has negated each other and nobody has noticed ;-)
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by TAG) | Reply
Exactly!

I once read a quote in a UVA problem which says:

"I do believe that we are creating students with good results who are not creative. Those who are creative are not always ranked first in our system."
/* Rezaul Alam Chowdhury in his farewell speech */

Even most of the contests do not mark out the creative ones. At last, you gain as much as you train. But who is the creative person who can change the whole world with his simple ideas? That may be impossible to be marked out through a traditional "teaching -> grading" system!

PS: in my past math course, they generally did not deduct marks for calculations :D. They just check that if you had plugged in the correct numbers, calculated correctly, you should have got the right answer. The professor told us, "I assume you passed mathematics in elementary school". :))
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by TAG) | Reply
I agree. GPA only measures your ability to do well in exams, to study hard, to memorize many things and reproduce them and to know what answer is expected from you. It DOES NOT measure your creativity or problem solving skills. Of course there is some correlation between the two. Students that have good problem solving skills are more likely to be patient and studious, so they are more likely to do better in exams. I don't think that people who are good in exams have necessarily good problem solving skills.
"Why I am going to school?"

Well here are some of my reasons:

1. Meet new people
2. Learn new and interesting things. It doesn't matter if I don't use them later in life
3. Find out how I compare with other students
4. Get free food :)
5. Avoid having a real job and getting up early in the morning :D
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
Students that have good problem solving skills are more likely to be patient and studious
I would say it's exactly the other way round. Really bright students often don't study before an exam at all, assuming they would be able to figure out things on the runtime. Than they can utilize the time before exams for more interesting things, like playing the computer games.
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by slex) | Reply
Or they might take the exam earlier and then have more time for computer games later. (At my school, there was a building at which one normally takes more than half of their tests, on their own time, over some general span of a couple days).
Re: What is the Benefit of going to University? Ask for same advise (response to post by mohamedafattah) | Reply
Are there any jobs, for creative people who doesn't like teaching-grading system?
If you mean those people who are creative. There couldn't be! Because a job is getting in a whole system, where everybody should fit with the others. BUT, there is exceptions. One of them is that you can be creative and earn money in your way. Be your own boss. I just remebered that big idea in the million dollar home page: http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/
It does not require deep knowledge about anything. It is simple in application. But indeed it is very hard to be created.

But anyway, you say, "Are there any jobs, for creative people who doesn't like teaching-grading system?"
And the answer is yes. There are almost jobs for everybody.
More and more companies (in the UK at least) require a univeristy degree as a pre-requisite.

Why?

You may be a very very good programmer but when screening resumes most companies don't have the time to assess each individual candiate on his or her particular strengths and a university degree is a very easy place at which HR departments can 'set the bar'.
[ 1 2 3 ]    NEXT >

RSS