JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Brainbench tests | Reply
A company is interested in my resume and want me to take a Brainbench C++ test before a face to face. (Note, they are aware that C++ is not my primary skill but I guess they want to find out just what I do and do not know)

I have done a bit of quick research and read mostly bad things about Brainbench tests and the companies that use them to screen candidates.

Does anyone have any experience with either Brainbench tests or companies that use them for candidate screening.....

Cheers.
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
I have some experience with taking them :-)
(http://duleba.net/brainbench/ , and that's not all :-) )

The tests weren't that bad. Some companies (I know about MS) use Brainbench to look for candidates among people with good scores in C++/Java.
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by Krzysan) | Reply
I took the test.

There were a lot of very contrived questions but it wasn't too bad.
Thats quite interesting. I heard that some companies prefer to have BrainBench cerified professionals but I was surprised to note that even MS uses it.
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by sb99) | Reply
Why? Companies are trying really hard to find new candidates. Recruites are browsing through any available source of resumes or even contact information and Brainbench is no different.
The companies I have come across in India don't rely on Brainbench statistics rather their focus is on cerifications taken at authorized test centres and hence I was surprized to see MS in list of companies, which go by Brainbench statistics.
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by sb99) | Reply
I'm not saying that MS is relying on Brainbench results - I don't think they are. All I know is they scan through test results looking for *candidates*. You still have to go through normal recrutation process.
Thanks that helps.
I'm curious about Brainbench tests. I've always heard that the tests are much more language specific (c++, etc) and less in the line of measuring your ability to actually generate effective code to solve a problem. Was this your experience? Am I way off base?
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
That is exactly what I thought after taking the test.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for in a candidate.

The test was harder than I thought it would be and was more of a test of the language specification.

Assuming familiartity with general programming concepts my guess is that if you read through a decent C++ book a couple of times you would do very well.

If you had spent a year or two working on a system implemented in C++ but not been exposed to every aspect of the language you could do very poorly.

Who would make the better employee though?
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by Stroker_Ace) | Reply
The latter guy, of course, unless the company forbids their programmers to use any kind of help documentation.

I have a hard time seeing any scenario when the first guy would be the better choice. Possible exception would be if you only hire someone for a specific projects for just a few weeks.
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
The programming tests are basically factoids and riddles (where's the bug, will this code compile, what's the output, etc.) You have to know the language well to do well and vice versa.

They also have general aptitude tests, which are less language specific and measure general problem solving skills. Level of these tests is lower than language specific ones - it's much easier to fix incorrect factoid question than a completetly wrong aptitude test. Having said that, still their tests are one of the best aptitude tests I've seen so far.
So, once it's time to write a resume for some company? Do you think it is useful to mention your Brainbench results?
Re: Brainbench tests (response to post by griffon) | Reply
It depends how your resume look like, how good scores you had and what kind of job are you looking for. It might help you get a mid-level job, but top employers won't be impressed by it.
Is it possible to know from the Brainbench site, what employers are interested in people, who are good at Brainbench? I'm a novice there and there site is too complicated...
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS