JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Re: How many programing langs a job required?{Continues...} (response to post by IndunilHasantha) | Reply
It is often handy to have demonstratable database and SQL experience as well and some domain knowledge (Telecoms, finance etc.) is useful.
Re: How many programing langs a job required?{Continues...} (response to post by tolkienfan) | Reply
Many recruiters match candidate to jobs by keyword. Sadly it's an easy way to do it.

Well put, and that's so true. I couldn't agree with you more. I just recently switched jobs and fortunately my new employer was more interested in my aptitude and attitude than the fact that I'd done more C# than VB.net (this job is mostly VB.net at the moment). But to your point, a lot of employers won't even let you in the door for an interview if you haven't programmed in x, y and z. That's a real shame in my opinion because if someone's really good they'll pick up the other languages/skills in no time.

I think one area where this problem is really persistent is if you're trying to get a job doing J2EE (or I guess J5EE is the current term now). It's not enough to just know JAVA, JSP, and Servlets. You have to know Struts, EJB, MVC, Hibernate, and a lot of other technologies before you can even get in the door. I ran into this myself when trying to break into the J2EE career path. While I can't speak for everyone (i.e. Kawigi got a job based on his problem-solving skills), not having the right buzzwords on my resume has definitely been a roadblock for me.

I think the other thing to consider is what technologies are in the greatest demand where you live. In my area, there are about 8-10 .Net jobs to every 1 JAVA job. I know a lot of folks are religious about the technology/language they use and refuse to use anything else. For me though, the most important thing is being able to provide for my family and put food on the table. It sort of changes your perspective a bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in the latest languages and technologies, but at the end of the day you've gotta eat, and that means you have to pay attention to staying marketable with your skills. At the same time, you have to be passionate about your work so you have to find a technology that you enjoy working with. It can be a challenge.
Re: How many programing langs a job required?{Continues...} (response to post by IndunilHasantha) | Reply
Many recruiters match candidate to jobs by keyword. Sadly it's an easy way to do it.

As a result many people list all the technologies (and variants) that they've even been close to. I list everything I've written even a single line of.

On the other hand, many employers will hire someone who hasn't got any experience in one or more of the targetted areas, if they have demonstrated intelligence, and enthusiasm for the job and/or industry.

Also, communicating well, and having raport will go a very long way.

Further, I would say, managers that DO want to pick candidates by "pigeon hole", are probably difficult to work for.

Don't get me wrong. Recruiters can be your best ally. I've had many indispensible recruiters. It's just that their criteria might limit your options. So do the work yourself. Finding an advocate already in the indusrty is an excellent way to go. I got my first programming job by being recommended by someone.

I guess my point is: There is more than metrics - number of languages, or years experience, or technologies.
Re: How many programing langs a job required? {continues..} (response to post by IndunilHasantha) | Reply
Just a suggestion, but while you are considering these issues, you might also want to think about the differences between what skills you want to learn for a job, and what you want to learn for your career.
Re: How many programing langs a job required? {continues..} (response to post by IndunilHasantha) | Reply
From an essay by Peter Norvig I happened to read today:
Learn at least a half dozen programming languages. Include one language that supports class abstractions (like Java or C++), one that supports functional abstraction (like Lisp or ML [or Haskell]), one that supports syntactic abstraction (like Lisp), one that supports declarative specifications (like Prolog or C++ templates), one that supports coroutines (like Icon or Scheme), and one that supports parallelism (like Sisal).
Re: How many programing langs a job required? {continues..} (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
okay i guess its fair answer :) . If thats the case if some one want to learn multiple languages what are the programming languages should he be learning? e.g. I come from a Java background and currently doing VB .NET and C#
Re: How many programing langs a job required? (response to post by Insight) | Reply
:-)
Re: How many programing langs a job required? (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
language-agnostic. I really like that term. Thanks. :)
Re: How many programing langs a job required? (response to post by IndunilHasantha) | Reply
One, as long as it's the one that job requires :-)

Honestly, I have experience in maybe a dozen languages and I'm proficient in four or five, but I only write production code in one of them (and also note that it's definitely not the one I'm the best at). For me, I got a job because I have strong problem-solving skills and I can express my thoughts well in code (where the code itself was primarily language-agnostic).
How many programing langs a job required?{Continues...} | Reply
hi guys,

Does any one know typically, how many programming languages i should know to apply for a job?

cheers
indunil
RSS