JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >
Salaries in the Financial Sector | Reply
Topcoder is working with a small company in the Financials Industry in NY to find 1 talented developer for an internal, full time position. They'll pay over 200k for a red or yellow rated TC member (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder). They'll consider someone just out of school as well. This job involves hands on, complex algorithm work with Java, C# AND C++. It will also allow partial telecommuting after a 6 months or so on site. So here's my question: Many of our members haven't expressed an interest in hearing about jobs like these - so is this the sort of position that qualifies as a "very attractive position?" Also, if you haven't "checked the box" that indicates it's OK with you if you hear from one of the TC placement agents, do you regularly check the career opportunities page at TC?
Thanks for the input!
harvey6ft
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
I would imagine "most of [your] members" wouldn't find this attractive because the requirements already eliminate over 90% of rated algorithm competitors. :)
Personally, my first shot from the hip is to say this is an attractive position, most certainly.

But, salary alone is unfortunately just one factor out of many to be considered, and comparative cost of living in NY is much higher than most of the rest of the country.

I personally would be intersted to hear from others members who are or are not interested in TC job placement, and why. I know for me, probably the biggest thing is that, right now, anything involving relocation is not something I'm likely to consider.

On the other side, are there some TC members who have found employement through TC placement, and are able (non-disclosure agreements considered, of course) and willing to talk about their satisfaction?
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by duner) | Reply
Something that isn't said in the original post, but should be noted, is that a lot of the companies TC placement works with have much lower thresholds of interest. While a rating around the 1200 level might not be "stellar" in the TopCoder crowd, when you consider that TC members often represent those who are already ahead of the pack, and more importantly, some of the most genuinely enthusiastic individuals who like what they do, then even those who might be labelled as 'lower rated' members can look very attractive to an employer.

I just noticed... this was post # 100000000 for me! woohoo!
Would they be interested in someone who's been yellow a couple of times? (And probably wil be again ;-)
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by timmac) | Reply
For me, I'd say the biggest thing is that I already have a job with outstanding benefits and good pay, and because of that, I'm settling into a place where, like you, relocation is undesirable.
A comment from a guy working in the financial industry living in NY, yes, the comparative cost of living in NY is much higher than most of the rest of the country, but it's not so high that make that kind of salary unattractive.

That said, the financial sector does induce burnout faster than you can spell supercalifrajalisticexpialidocious (and 12-16 hour days aren't uncommon), so with the salary you might have to factor the year you'll take off just to regain your motivation.

And of course, "Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard."

As for the job (though I'm not really a high yellow anymore), it's definitely attractive, and probably worth a consideration if I wasn't already working. Though in my view, it's tough to match those qualifications because it's self-filtering in that people who match those qualifications usually already makes enough money that it's not too much of a factor, and that if someone wants to live in New York, those are really the only type of jobs that compensate well, which means they're already in the industry. Not to mention there's been some sort of a boom for jobseekers in this area lately, so the competition for competent coders is actually quite high.

I'm not speaking for anyone else but me, of course, but I happen to work in a very similar environment, and was on a job hunt a few months back. My two biggest priority back then in choosing a company was the work environment, the people I would work with, and risk/rewards/direction of the company.

I'm only two years out of college, so getting paid quite well to learn is reward itself. =)
Just interested to know did topcoder hire people outside us? As i can see most of the job has primary requirements like coder should be a US citizens or green card holder.
Ooh, I'm just eligible for that. ;-)
If you post something like this in about a year when I'm just out of school, I'll probably ask you where to get one of those green card things.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by dplass) | Reply
Hire him, but remember. He talks a lot in TC forum.
On the other hand maybe he will then not take over <handle>Pops</handle>
in post count.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by kfas) | Reply
LOL, good point.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by kfas) | Reply
lol - I believe he is pretty well destined to do that. I'm not posting as much as I use to (I'm extremely busy right now) and he is quickly making up the ground. I give it another month or so before he overcomes my post count!
I'm going to represent the capitalist pig here and say the I think the position looks very attractive. Having been a consultant for a long time, I know exactly how much benefits cost and on that salary - you can forgo whatever benefits they offer and get ones that really are customized to you. With telecommuting in, the relocation may or may not be that big of an issue and you have to worry alot less about cost of living (because there is the potential for telecommuting).

Please note that my outlook may be different than most. I've don't value coworkers or corporate culture as highly as most (again - consultant background plays into that) and I have $400,000 dollars of college costs that will begin in 8 years hanging over my head - so I'm very dollar oriented right now.

Having been in the financial industry for many years now and having the outlook that I do - I'd say the position qualifies as 'very attractive'.

Side note harvey6ft - you may want to explain where that "checked the box" is for those that may have their interest piqued
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by Pops) | Reply
err, he's only 36 posts back, and gaining fast! A month? Nah, I give it possibly another week. :-)
[ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >

RSS