JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Salaries in the Financial Sector | Reply
Topcoder is working with a small company in the Financials Industry in NY to find 1 talented developer for an internal, full time position. They'll pay over 200k for a red or yellow rated TC member (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder). They'll consider someone just out of school as well. This job involves hands on, complex algorithm work with Java, C# AND C++. It will also allow partial telecommuting after a 6 months or so on site. So here's my question: Many of our members haven't expressed an interest in hearing about jobs like these - so is this the sort of position that qualifies as a "very attractive position?" Also, if you haven't "checked the box" that indicates it's OK with you if you hear from one of the TC placement agents, do you regularly check the career opportunities page at TC?
Thanks for the input!
harvey6ft
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by harvey6ft) | Reply
I would imagine "most of [your] members" wouldn't find this attractive because the requirements already eliminate over 90% of rated algorithm competitors. :)
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by duner) | Reply
Something that isn't said in the original post, but should be noted, is that a lot of the companies TC placement works with have much lower thresholds of interest. While a rating around the 1200 level might not be "stellar" in the TopCoder crowd, when you consider that TC members often represent those who are already ahead of the pack, and more importantly, some of the most genuinely enthusiastic individuals who like what they do, then even those who might be labelled as 'lower rated' members can look very attractive to an employer.

I just noticed... this was post # 100000000 for me! woohoo!
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by duner) | Reply
I should note: this particular client will also consider yellow rated members as well... Thanks for the feedback!
Personally, my first shot from the hip is to say this is an attractive position, most certainly.

But, salary alone is unfortunately just one factor out of many to be considered, and comparative cost of living in NY is much higher than most of the rest of the country.

I personally would be intersted to hear from others members who are or are not interested in TC job placement, and why. I know for me, probably the biggest thing is that, right now, anything involving relocation is not something I'm likely to consider.

On the other side, are there some TC members who have found employement through TC placement, and are able (non-disclosure agreements considered, of course) and willing to talk about their satisfaction?
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by timmac) | Reply
For me, I'd say the biggest thing is that I already have a job with outstanding benefits and good pay, and because of that, I'm settling into a place where, like you, relocation is undesirable.
A comment from a guy working in the financial industry living in NY, yes, the comparative cost of living in NY is much higher than most of the rest of the country, but it's not so high that make that kind of salary unattractive.

That said, the financial sector does induce burnout faster than you can spell supercalifrajalisticexpialidocious (and 12-16 hour days aren't uncommon), so with the salary you might have to factor the year you'll take off just to regain your motivation.

And of course, "Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard."

As for the job (though I'm not really a high yellow anymore), it's definitely attractive, and probably worth a consideration if I wasn't already working. Though in my view, it's tough to match those qualifications because it's self-filtering in that people who match those qualifications usually already makes enough money that it's not too much of a factor, and that if someone wants to live in New York, those are really the only type of jobs that compensate well, which means they're already in the industry. Not to mention there's been some sort of a boom for jobseekers in this area lately, so the competition for competent coders is actually quite high.

I'm not speaking for anyone else but me, of course, but I happen to work in a very similar environment, and was on a job hunt a few months back. My two biggest priority back then in choosing a company was the work environment, the people I would work with, and risk/rewards/direction of the company.

I'm only two years out of college, so getting paid quite well to learn is reward itself. =)
Just interested to know did topcoder hire people outside us? As i can see most of the job has primary requirements like coder should be a US citizens or green card holder.
Would they be interested in someone who's been yellow a couple of times? (And probably wil be again ;-)
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by tolkienfan) | Reply
I guess not.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by tolkienfan) | Reply
Don't guess yet!!! Yes, they'll consider yellow candidates also!
Will they consider bigger half of TC member base who are outside USA ?
Any efforts from TC side on this in general ?

AFAIK, TCO was shifted to suit it better for USA visa processing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by TAG) | Reply
I believe it was shifted because college recruitment is in the fall rather than the spring - so the TCCC is more effective in the fall. The TCO was moved to make the TCCC better for sponsors and recruitment.
TC is involved with a few comapanies in the U.S. that have opportunities outside the U.S. - but they are not common.
Ooh, I'm just eligible for that. ;-)
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by dplass) | Reply
Hire him, but remember. He talks a lot in TC forum.
On the other hand maybe he will then not take over <handle>Pops</handle>
in post count.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by kfas) | Reply
LOL, good point.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by kfas) | Reply
lol - I believe he is pretty well destined to do that. I'm not posting as much as I use to (I'm extremely busy right now) and he is quickly making up the ground. I give it another month or so before he overcomes my post count!
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by Pops) | Reply
err, he's only 36 posts back, and gaining fast! A month? Nah, I give it possibly another week. :-)
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by NeverMore) | Reply
I feel so empty.
Problem: Pops still isn't a stationary target.

Real question - how long before I pass you up?
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
Yeah, I'm dropping back fast in the TopPoster contest. Damn this having work to do and such. And also, not being able to come up with intelligent things to say. :(
And also, not being able to come up with intelligent things to say. :(

You let that stop you? ;)

You'd almost caught me a couple of weeks ago, now I'm nearly a hundred ahead again. But I don't think it'll be long before TheFaxman passes me.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by aussie) | Reply
The way the Marathon events are going I'll be well past everyone by the end of the year.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by TheFaxman) | Reply
On behalf of me and dplass - we say "bring it on!"
If you post something like this in about a year when I'm just out of school, I'll probably ask you where to get one of those green card things.
Ditto. Going to live in NY for a bit sounds like a blast:)

(I wish I were a year older!)
I'm going to represent the capitalist pig here and say the I think the position looks very attractive. Having been a consultant for a long time, I know exactly how much benefits cost and on that salary - you can forgo whatever benefits they offer and get ones that really are customized to you. With telecommuting in, the relocation may or may not be that big of an issue and you have to worry alot less about cost of living (because there is the potential for telecommuting).

Please note that my outlook may be different than most. I've don't value coworkers or corporate culture as highly as most (again - consultant background plays into that) and I have $400,000 dollars of college costs that will begin in 8 years hanging over my head - so I'm very dollar oriented right now.

Having been in the financial industry for many years now and having the outlook that I do - I'd say the position qualifies as 'very attractive'.

Side note harvey6ft - you may want to explain where that "checked the box" is for those that may have their interest piqued
"you can forgo whatever benefits they offer and get ones that really are customized to you."

This is almost never possible for full-time employees. Often, the benefits are "part of" your compensation and you cannot say "don't give me free health insurance benefits and give me $2k/yr more salary".
A company will always allow you to take no health insurance (usually because the person may be covered by another employer). I didn't say in trade for more salary (although I will admit that I've negotiated that successfully before) - what I meant was that for the salary stated above, you should easily be able to afford your own benefits rather than the employer's benefits (regardless if they are good or not).
what I meant was that for the salary stated above...
You mean "below", right? Don't tell me you scroll down every time you want to see a new post.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by Krzysan) | Reply
lol - I actually do. Seems more natural for me (although my wrist would probably disagree greatly)!
Don't tell me you scroll down every time you want to see a new post.

Don't tell me you read posts in the wrong order whenever there's been more than one since the last time you visited the page... ;)

Reading from top to bottom makes a lot more sense to me than reading down a bit, then jumping up to above where I started and reading down again, etc.
Thouse folks are on other part of Earth. Everything is reversed top-to-bottom for them ;-)
A couple of years ago one of my subjects at uni had a class forum where everyone could add just add what they wanted to say where ever they wanted to. About half the class added to the top, and the other half to the bottom and there were a lot of arguments about which was the 'correct' way to do it, and of course the people arguing for one side were adding their arguments to the top, and the people on the other side were adding their arguments to the bottom, so you had to start in the middle of the page and keep scrolling up and down to follow the conversation. That was a lot of fun to read.
Don't tell me you read posts in the wrong order whenever there's been more than one since the last time you visited the page... ;)

No, it's the right order (think about a stack that's never popped ;-) ).

I don't have to scroll, I see the most important messages first.

I got this custom from reading newsgrups. When I started some 6-7 years ago, newsreaders didn't save folder preferences, so I would have to scroll through thousands of messages just to get to fresh ones. Now Mozilla Thunderbird saves position even when you leave a group (but not if you turn the newsreader off), but still it's not that convenient.
Use Agent or Free Agent instead - much better newsgroup reader...
No, thanks, I'm almost cured now and don't want to start again ;-)
Don't tell me you scroll down every time you want to see a new post.

What are you talking about?

*rummages through the settings*

Oh, THAT!

Why would you want to read things backwards like that?

:-P
Backwards like that means "stacked" or "queued"? I can't tell which one are you for :-)

[Edit] Anyway, sorry for spoiling such a nice, meaningful thread with this chit-chat :-( EOT from me.
Was just joking about how *I* think *your* way is "backwards" and *you* think *my* way is "backwards".

I have always always always read stuff "most recent thread at top, most recent post within that thread at bottom"
OK, I understand, and agree.
$400,000!?

I hope that an extra zero found its way in there somehow.
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by rrenaud) | Reply
Nope - did my masters on the finances of college costs over the various different plans using my own kids as the subjects. By the time they are of college age, assuming a historical inflation rate on college expenses and assuming a middle high college cost over 4 years - it comes out to be about $400,000 I'll need to have saved to fully pay for all college costs for all my kids (room , board, etc).
Re: Salaries in the Financial Sector (response to post by rrenaud) | Reply
LOL, we're going to encourage our kids to go to state schools. :-P
My backup plan is to get a part time job at a state school - you are then eligible for fee-courtesy at any state school (that's what my father did and I only paid $33 per credit hour!).
Or you could join the military and become a"disabled veteran" (where the meaning of "disabled" does not necessarily death or severe disability) and not pay anything except the student specific fees (at least in CA state schools, YMMV). Are you willing to make that sacrifice for your kids? ;)
33$ per credit hour? In Spain it's like 10? per credit hour. And probably you didn't just come out of college;-)

Why not consider sending your kids to Europe? That would open their minds considerably and would be like at most 100k-120k$ per kid
As others say this is a very attractive position.
If I was eligible I would seriously consider it.
Becoming a yellow TC member would probably be easier than those other location based things. And I would have to say good bye to abstract math presumably.
Probably that won't happen until someone says I'm perfect for that job (which is not true I suppose).
kfas
1. Yes, this is very attractive position.
2. I always do "check the box" indicating that it's ok with me to hear from one of the TC placement agents, but unfortunately no placement agent ever did contact me.
3. I do check the page sometimes, but I'm not sure what to do with it? TC already has my resume, so I think that TC may contact me any time they like, or not? It is stated " Just register here and TopCoder will contact you about temporary and permanent positions that fit your skills." But TopCoder do not contact me, so what shall I do if I see an attractive position? Nothing, I suggest :)
This sounds like a very attractive position, especially to someone right out of college.

Unfortunately it isn't right for me for the same reasons I haven't "checked the box" and never check the career opportunities page (and rarely read the Employment forum):

1) I already have a job I enjoy that pays me enough to live on (of course, more wouldn't hurt).
2) I have two young kids and we live close enough to family that their grandparents regularly baby sit for us.
3) My wife has 9 months of nursing school left, so now wouldn't be a good time to transfer.

#1 allows me to stay where I am, and the others are why we don't want to leave (at least not right now).
If I were qualified, I'd love this job! I guess there's a bit of self-selection going on.
RSS