forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >
Re: *jaw drops* (response to post by mess) | Reply
You missed one ;)
Re: *jaw drops* (response to post by aussie) | Reply
Your challenge on mess's post was successful for +50 points.
I was just making sure you were paying attention. Nice job.
Re: *jaw drops* (response to post by mess) | Reply
It was difficult for me to resist mentioning it after you first posted, but after you fixed one of them and not the other I had to say something.
Re: *jaw drops* (response to post by Petr) | Reply
Petr - the point you brought up about a draw is the facet of the game that is generally hardest for non-cricket people to understand. But if you think about it, having a 3rd result as an option (avoiding a loss by extending the game beyond a certain limit), it keeps matches "alive" that would be otherwise inevitable results.

Some of the more memorable cricket matches are ones where sides of beaten the odds to survive and draw, rather than ones where sides have WON unexpectedly.

It's much like a weak position in chess forcing a hard-fought stalemate.
Re: *jaw drops* (response to post by HiltonLange) | Reply
I can't imagine how one side would fight hard for staying longer in the match. I guess they can't just do eveything slowly, there must be some another point here.
Just to add a little bit to that, there are actually 4 possible results in test match Cricket: Win, Loss, Draw and Tie (both teams end up with exactly the same number of runs). A tie is very rare though, in about 130 years of Test Cricket I think there's been only 2 tie's.
There are a few different versions of Cricket (Test matches, One day games, Twenty20) and we've pretty much only been describing Test Cricket here (it's the only form of the game that has draw's). But if you want to learn about Cricket it would probably be easier to learn about the simpler one day form of the game first (Test matches typically can be up to 5 days long by the way, hence the name 'One day' for the newer and shorter version - Twenty20 is even newer and even shorter).
Petr - yes, you're right - it has nothing to do with simply doing everything slower.

If you know baseball at all - the batter has 3 strikes. 3 attempts to hit the ball.

In cricket, the batsman has any many strikes as he likes. He remains batting until he's out in any one of a number of ways. Principally, he's trying to defend the wicket - the wooden sticks behind him. With concentration, batsmen can face hundreds of balls before making an error and going out.
That's funny because in the Netherlands the number one sport is Soccer while Rugby is very small. And I believe the same is true in Germany.
Test Cricket here (it's the only form of the game that has draw's).

Considering that South Africa missed qualifying past two World Cup quarterfinals because of ties, I'm not sure what HiltonLange thinks about that :)
Is is true that if batsman manages to prevent the ball from hitting his wicket, strikes it so that it touches the ground before being caught, and doesn't attempt to run at all, he will continue batting?

Now that makes sense :)

BTW, do you play cricket?
Re: *jaw drops* (response to post by aboyner) | Reply
hmm. cricket discussion on TopCoder! Sometime back, I had referred to TC on a cricket discussion group I frequent, so now by referring to that group here, I have completed the cycle :-)
dskloet - What is more ironic is that rugby was invented in England, and they brought it out to South Africa. It just grew to be an Afrikaans sport more than English.

Petr - What you are saying is true. But it's like saying "So is it true that if I can move a piece every turn, and avoid my pieces being taken, I can play chess forever?" The theory is simple, but it's not that easy against cricket balls that swing, spin and bounce erratically. I personally don't play cricket seriously, only "garden cricket" with friends+family. Are there any reds/yellows that are adept at sport? It's a rare combination.

Aboyner - THAT was a low blow! *cry*. We also dropped out of the 1999 Rugby World Cup to a draw. :( It's become a tradition.
Hey, you didn't miss out on the last two quater finals because of ties. In the World Cup before last it was a tie in the Semi-Final against Australia which made you miss the final. That was a great game too, probably still my favourite Cricket match I've ever seen.
<< PREV    [ 1 2 3 4 ]    NEXT >

RSS