JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? | Reply
I was hoping the article will address this question. Finding which sorting algorithm is good for what type of data can be done in a catalog fashion: list an agorithm against an input sizes/type/etc.

What i was hoping to hear was that when learning sorting/searching algorithms, it is esential to learn the internals most because the sorting algorithms have properties beyond sorting alone. Thus in a particular problem one may be interested in how some sorting-algorithm-internal-variable changes for example, and that wont be got by calling a sort() routine. We should not be interested in mere sorting alone but in the properties of the variable involved. This sounds almost like the goal of doing pure mathematics.Ever wondered why someone may be concerned with the distribution of prime numbers? Distribution of primes is not the goal they are after.They are interested in the system of logically related theorems that pop out while trying to solve the problem.I guess the study of sorting algorithms has the same goal besides mere sorting.
Subject Author Date
Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? mafoko Jan 14, 2006 at 1:47 AM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? mafoko Mar 3, 2006 at 8:47 PM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? aboyner Mar 3, 2006 at 9:05 PM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? timmac Mar 6, 2006 at 10:59 AM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? mafoko Mar 6, 2006 at 9:58 PM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? eleusive Mar 6, 2006 at 10:58 PM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? Kawigi Mar 6, 2006 at 11:05 PM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? rrpai Mar 7, 2006 at 12:31 AM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? Kawigi Mar 7, 2006 at 1:56 PM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? rrpai Mar 7, 2006 at 12:05 AM EST
Re: Why do i need to study different sorting of algorithms? misof Mar 6, 2006 at 11:17 PM EST
RSS