JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
Comparer? | Reply
Er, Java doesn't have a Comparer interface - the one you're looking for is Comparator. I suppose the confusion was probably because the C# interface is called IComparer...might confuse a few newbies, so I figured I'd mention it.
Re: Comparer? (response to post by abstractwhiz) | Reply
Good catch, you are absolutely correct. (And you correctly pointed out the reason as well)
Or do you mean Comparable?
Re: Comparer? (response to post by dplass) | Reply
If the objects you're sorting implement Comparable, you don't need a Comparator (unless you want to use a different ordering from the one they implement). Comparable has compareTo(other object), Comparator has compare(object1, object2).
Re: Comparer? (response to post by Kawigi) | Reply
Exactly. The Comparer (in C#) that I was referring to would be the same as Comparator in Java. I did also mention the Comparable interface, which is so named in both APIs. The basic functionality is the same either way.
interesting comparison of interfaces (sorry - couldn't help myself...)
Re: Comparer? (response to post by Pops) | Reply
Next week: How to make a sorted list of Comparators.
I believe this problem is NP-Hard undecidable.
Re: Comparer? (response to post by TangentZ) | Reply
Nonsense - just because the output of a problem is unuseful doesn't mean that it's undecidable.

The problem is that you need a class that implements Comparator<Comparator>.
Re: Comparer? (response to post by timmac) | Reply
Hehe - I have this somewhat uncanny ability of spotting stuff like this, even when I just skim something. Gaffes just seem to jump out of the page at me...I've startled quite a few people with it on occasion.

Now if only I could figure out how to do this for code, I'd be the king of the challenge phase...*sigh*...
Well, the compiler catches this specific sort of problem before challenging would. But it would make you the king of Teaching Assistants for beginning programming classes.
Heh, I'm the same way. I've been known to interrupt a presenter with "You know, there's a typo on that PowerPoint slide"...
Well once my "Data Structure" Lecturer......shouted at me saying I am disturbing...

When I atleast pointed out 12-15 silly typo's in abt 10 min....

(Well I was in no mood of study that time) :)

<There are plenty of these incedences...>
If I remember correctly, intel did a presentation at the TCO'03 that either showed a bunch of code or code was the background to some slide that contained an error - very wrong audience to do that with...
It really comes in handy, though - last year they made me assistant editor of one of the college magazines, and I left the editor reeling when we went over a bunch of articles together. I read pretty fast, and she wasn't that comfortable reading on a computer, and I was pointing out spelling errors and grammatical screwups at breakneck speed. Eventually we decided it was better if I did it alone. :)

The downside of that was reading the terrible English in which people wrote their articles - I had a vague feeling of disorientation for about a week :). I ended up rewriting huge parts of them, confirming my theory that most engineering students can't write to save their lives...
RSS