Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
TCCC? | Reply
Seriously??
This was announced much earlier than expected, good to see you're looking into the future already. (and not scheduling at the same time as IOI or GCJ)

However, with TCO in early May, is there a possible time for TCCC? Or will there possibly be two TCO's?
Re: TCCC? (response to post by sql_lall) | Reply
They decided to swap the TCO/TCCC this next year - so the TCCC will be in the fall
Re: TCCC? (response to post by Pops) | Reply
Ah, yes, I see now where that's mentioned...
Hopefully this doesn't mean TCCC is during IOI and GCJ
Re: TCCC? (response to post by Pops) | Reply
If TCCC at fall - how will you define "student" ? In some countries you become student in September and graduate at June/July.
Re: TCCC? (response to post by TAG) | Reply
Perhaps I don't understand the question. It seems you're concerned that the TCCC would take place while students are not in school, however the fall starts (in the US) in september and ends in december, so in your example they would be students at that time.
Re: TCCC? (response to post by dok) | Reply
what is the topcoder definition of a student?
Re: TCCC? (response to post by dispanser) | Reply
This is from the usual rules on these events:

"All registered TopCoder members over the age of 18 who are matriculated full time at an accredited college or university"
In India, the academic year ends in June. So this would take many people out of the game.

For an example: I am in junior (third) year of a four year course. With the previous schedules, I would have been able to compete in the next two TCCCs. But now with the changed schedule, I have only one chance left.

I would suggest another thought on this issue with respect to students in other countries as well.
Re: TCCC? (response to post by shalinmangar) | Reply
We were aware this would be the case for some people, however executing the TCCC in the fall will provide better opportunities for competitors to secure internships etc. with sponsoring companies. Our intention is to help out both the sponsors and the competitors with this change.
I think it's a great change, it works really well for me.

This is off topic but is in response to what Pops said above, although it goes out to all northern hemisphere people. Please don't talk about when events are on based on seasons if it is of interest to people worldwide - the seasons are not the same everywhere... I see seasons used a lot in IT related things such as software release dates and it can get a little confusing sometimes. Wouldn't it be better to use months or quaters?
"All registered TopCoder members over the age of 18 who are matriculated full time at an accredited college or university"

I think there's something missing here (or maybe I just didn't read the rules of last years TCCC carefully enough). I expect to qualify as a student until the beginning of next September. So, if the TCCC follows the same kind of schedule as the TCO did this year, it will start in August (when I'm a student) and end in October (when I'm not a student). So what I'm wondering is, do you need to be a student at the beginning of the competition, at the end, or for the entire period.

does this apply to Phd / doctorands too?
Re: TCCC? (response to post by aussie) | Reply
Please don't talk about when events are on based on seasons.... Wouldn't it be better to use months... ?

+1
Re: TCCC? (response to post by dispanser) | Reply
Yes, this applies to students at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Re: TCCC? (response to post by dynamitehacker) | Reply
You need to be a full-time student at the beginning of the tournament (i.e., at the first round of the component competition or at the qualification round of the algorithm competition).

-MaryBeth
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS