Get Time
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (newest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
What should I write in my resume? | Reply
Will be very appreciate for some good template.
Re: What should I write in my resume? (response to post by gevak) | Reply
If you do a search on any search engines for 'resumes' I am sure you will get a lot of good examples from there.
If you're still in school or a recent college graduate, you should have an "Education" section to show where you went to school, what your major was and what type of degree you got, usually your GPA or some other metric of your performance there. You might also want to include a section showing what classes you took that might be relevant to the job.

You should also have an "Experience" section showing where you've worked in the past and what your primary responsibilities were. List them in order from most recent to the first. If you've worked many places you should probably consider leaving out the irrelevant ones (for example, if you worked at a fast food restaurant during high school, that probably doesn't matter much!)

Being a software person, it will also be important to have some sort of "Technologies" or "Skills" section showing what languages you know, what technologies or APIs you have used, and so on. Only list things that you can comfortably talk about to prove you are sufficiently familiar with them.

Most resumes include an "Objective" section at the top. The objective is just a brief summary of what you're looking for and why you're applying for a particular job. Some people say you should always have an Objective while others feel it often does no good. The problem is that they're often very generic and "BS" and don't really tell the hiring manager anything worthwhile. So wording of the objective is particularly important if you include one.

Of course, your resume should have your name, address, phone number, email address, etc. You can even include a URL to your webpage if it is professional looking.

The key to a resume is brevity. Do not make it too verbose. When someone looks at your resume, they ARE NOT going to read the entire thing. It probably won't be much more than a quick glance in fact. You need to catch their attention quickly.

Regarding templates, they are usually a bad idea. Especially the built-in resume templates in Microsoft Word, for example. A hiring manager will probably throw your resume right out the window if they recognize it as such. Try to be creative and come up with your own clean and effective layout. Don't put any graphics or silly stuff on it, make it look very professional.

Finally, proofread your resume several times. A single misspelling can be the difference between a job and no job, depending on who is looking at it.

Good luck. :)
Do you guys think it's important to justify "gaps" in the "timeline"?

Worked for some time and then I quit to continue studying.

January 2005 - March 2005
Whatever Company.
Whatever description.

"Stopped my profissional activity to pursued higher education".

Re: What should I write in my resume? (response to post by WaterIsPure) | Reply
In the case you mention, if the Education section entries and the Experience entries come somewhat close to dovetailing then these aren't gaps. If you took a year off from your career to train for the Tour de France or run for political office, then it might be worth noting.

These days when I see gaps in a resume they really aren't red flags anymore. I know way too many people who have spent a long time sitting on the sidelines looking hard for a chance to get back in the game. Of course that view depends on the area you are applying; here in New Jersey there's been some very big booms and busts that have done strange things to folks' resumes.

I would not expect a resume to tell me the reason for leaving a job. That may come up in an interview, especially when other things make it seem odd (for example the fellow who's address was an hour away and who's resume indicated he had a full-time position near home and was interviewing for a short-term contracting assignment with us) but very often I assume that job changes are for good enough reasons and don't ask.