JOIN
Get Time
forums   
Search | Watch Thread  |  My Post History  |  My Watches  |  User Settings
View: Flat (oldest first)  | Threaded  | Tree
Previous Thread  |  Next Thread
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >
Re: Resume writing (response to post by Karalabe) | Reply
If you PM me your email address I should have one I can send you, if you promise to to show it to anyone else. It's worked reasonably well... I've got interviews on every job I seriously applied for.
Re: Resume writing (response to post by Karalabe) | Reply
Additionally could someone explain what the difference is between a resume and a CV?

Here's the answer I was given (3 years ago in this thread):

http://forums.topcoder.com/?module=Thread&threadID=505191#505215
Re: Resume writing (response to post by d000hg) | Reply
Interesting...

Can someone by any chance send me a single page resume? Because I simply have absolutely no idea how to reduce everything to a single page.

Additionally could someone explain what the difference is between a resume and a CV? What should a resume contain and what are the "general" errors of including things that shouldn't be included?

Thanks.
Re: Resume writing (response to post by kclune) | Reply
If you'd like to review the CV I submitted (the one I used to allow TC to try and find me work) I'd be interested. Especially if you can tell me what to say on it to get a $200/hour contract :) Probably I don't use "Enterprise" enough...

I have always kept it to 1 page but it's only recently I've read in a few places about employers specifically wanting it like that.
Re: Resume writing (response to post by ntn) | Reply
Hello, i'm seeing people inviting others to see their resumes, can someone show me how to visualise other's resumes on topcoder ? thanks :)
Re: Resume writing (response to post by kclune) | Reply
Could you take a look at my CV, please? I just uploaded it to my account. Thank you in advance.
Re: Resume file format (response to post by amitz.sekali) | Reply
If you send a Word file, you should lock it. Otherwise your file can accidentally be modified.
Also, if you send a Word CV and say "I am experienced in MS Office", please learn how to use tabs and so on properly.
Re: Resume file format (response to post by Krzysan) | Reply
Thx, I just realize an interesting way to think about this.

It's possible that a good company can't read PDF. But it's difficult to believe if a good established IT company can't read PDF.
Re: Resume file format (response to post by Krzysan) | Reply
True, I care about employers that don't use MS Word more :)
When I was writing my first resume 4 years ago, on my 2nd year, I decided I didn't care for employers that can't read PDFs.
In addition, what format topcoder prefers my resume in?

Microsoft Word 97 seems like a generally accepted format as far as I know. But other format can probably impress prospective employer on my consideration of their Information System. HTML can be read almost anywhere but I can't control how it will be displayed and the file is relatively difficult to archive (many files for images or probably other stuffs). PDF display is controllable by author but AFAIK windows by default can't read PDF. TXT is ugly.
Re: Resume writing (response to post by Rustyoldman) | Reply
Also keep in mind you're not limited to one resume.
Re: Resume writing (response to post by NeverMore) | Reply
One page per degree earned is always what I have heard for a resume.
Resume file format (response to post by kclune) | Reply
What is the best choice of file format for the resume? Microsoft Word? HTML? PDF? TXT? or else?
Re: Resume writing (response to post by dimkadimon) | Reply
Sure. Resumes should not only get your point across that you are someone an employer should consider you, but they do also have to look nice. I like looking at resumes that have a brief 3 or 4 line statement (Executive or Professional Summary) at the top that states what you are looking for in a company, type of job, and why. For example:

A dedicated software engineer with 7 years of experience designing and developing cutting edge software applications seeking new challenges with a growing company which will allow me to utilize my current skills and help me learn and develop new ones.

It doesn't have to be much, but it helps the reader understand very quickly who you are, what you do, and what you are looking for. For people with more than one year of experience, your Professional experience should come next on the resume. List jobs in chronological order from the most recent, back. Give a brief but pointed description of what your roles and responsibilities are/were, technologies used.

Next should come your certification classes, and any certifications you have. Following that, is your educational background. If you have more than a few years of expereince, you do not need to list your GPA since it is usually irrelevant after you graduate and get real jobs. If an employer is interested in that, he will ask for it. And finally list any additional skills that are not eveident in your job descriptions.

Hope this helps.
[ 1 2 ]    NEXT >

RSS